Gesture drawing critique request

Home Forums Critique Gesture drawing critique request

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Panther2230 2 weeks ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

First off, hello. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I was hoping I could get some critiques on the gesture drawings I did today they're right here: https://imgur.com/a/YisAXxj

I try to go for a more overall shape/silhouette based approach to my gestures since that's more intuitive to me that looking for just lines and flows. My biggest inspiration for my approach is the artist Reiq on YouTube. He has such wonderful gesture drawings but whenever I try to apply his approach, my drawings always appear super... wonky is the best term I can say. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong though...

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Hi. I think you're doing a great job with your lines of action, and clearly showing what the person is doing in each pose.

I think that the proportions are part of why they look wonky. Keep in mind that a solid 3d person has to fit inside the 2d shapes on the page. Also, I looked at some of Reiq's gestures, and I think he's lengthening the legs slightly and narrowing the waists of the figures for a stylish look. You could try that in some of your drawings, if you like.

Also, in only a few of your drawings, the figures look off-balance. It might help to imagine an invisible line from the pit of the model's neck to the floor, and then mark where the feet should be, related to the neck, before you draw the legs.

But in general, I think your figures' proportions and balance will improve as you keep drawing and keep studying people.

Best wishes, and thanks for showing your drawings.

1 1

Relax your arm and use it fully for quick energetic lines to capture the same amount in the reference

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.