Class mode vs all the same length

Home Forums Practice & Advice Class mode vs all the same length

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Aemr 6 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Okay, maybe I'm overthinking this a little or something, but whenever I use this site to practice, I can't decide whether to do the class mode thing or all the same length. Lately, I've been doing the latter set on 5 minutes and skipping if I finish a drawing early, but I don't know if that's the most productive or helpful way to practice. I mean, it's definitely bad for practicing gestures. Is it bad if I'm not doing gestures? I'm just not sure, and I'd like to get the most out of the time I spend. Does anyone have any thoughts on the benefits of class mode and/or using shorter or longer intervals?

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

I guess it depends on what you're looking to get out of your practice sessions. I think the important question to ask yourself is this: what are you trying to get out of your sessions?

If you're trying to loosen up when it comes to drawing, and potentially work on your speed, then I've found Class Mode to be very helpful. It forces you to do more drawings faster, forcing your mind to work on seeing the "bigger picture" and focus on gestures before you can move on to filling out more details.

However, if you're working on a specific element, using timed mode could be a lot more helpful. If you're looking to work on your anatomy in different poses, for example, then your method could work just fine for you.

Really, the most important thing is to know your goal when you set out to practice, and the more specific the goal, the better. Drawing more in general does help, yes, but your brain learns better and retains more if you give yourself more focus. Then, based on that goal, decide which one works better.

Your insight is very helpful- I've never really had a specific goal during practice sessions before. That's definitely something I'll make sure to think about. Thanks so much!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.