How to Kill Procrastination?

Home Forums Practice & Advice How to Kill Procrastination?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Sanne 7 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hello my name is Imani(I looked it up and I know it's a girl name) and I was hoping that someone with experience could tell me how to stop procrastinating and drawing. I love to draw, but with so many distractions such as the interned I find it hard to just sit down and draw. Even when I do manage to start drawing sometime I get distracted by my phone or make excuses. Any help would be appreciated, and if your tips help me I might finally start making some gesture drawings!
    :D
    :}
    :)

P.S
    The faces are just randomness

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

You cannot always kill procrastination. I recommend drawing when you have free time or when you're bored. You could also find inspiration which really encourages me to draw. I feel inspired and fired up to draw when I see art I love. Paste and print some of your inspirations into your sketchbook. This will keep the inspiration everywhere you go, and hopefully dull the procrastination habits.

If you're serious about practicing and improving, you need to make drawing a habit and tune out what's around you. You can do this by focusing on things that really interest you, turning off your phone/tv/whatever distracts you and be disciplined about it. Doing this in short bursts of 5-10 minutes helps. Maybe these guidelines are useful to you?

http://zenhabits.net/unprocrastination-sessions/

I find that when I am inspired or motivated I don't procrastinate at all, otherwise my burst of energy times out. Try finding the things that inspire you to create and then get to work as soon as you feel like you wan to.

If that doesn't work then forcing yourself to get started could also work. From there you'll either get into the zone or you won't, in which case you know that is not the time to be doing art.

I was told once that listening to music without lyrics, especially music from video games, is good because that type of music is specifically designed to make you concentrate. Other than that, I think the other comments here pretty much cover it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that are hours long that are specifically dedicated to concentrating. Just search for "music for studying" or something similar and pick one you like.

I have a problem where i get motivated, but then like1 minute later i suddenly lose it. I do suffer from general depression syndrome though so maybe it's my life that is screwing up my inspiration and passion..

I have the same problem, and while I don't know of any way to 'kill' it, I have found it a bit easier to work with it by having little two minute breakss after every major stepping stone in a drawing. Finished with the lineart that took me an hour to do? Two minute break. Got done with the coloring and shading of that intricate corset/belt/dress/etc.? Two minute break doing something else. Not only does it help you get back on track once your finished with the break, but the intervals in between allow your mind to temporarily focus on something else long enough for what your drawing to become boring or tedious.

Ambient video game music is indeed a great way to stay focused! Try finding music that fits the theme of your drawing and/or reflects your mood. If you want to draw energetic gestures/studies/illustrations, upbeat and active background music is good. For calmer and more settled down moods, go with the gentler varieties.

@JukaKem: I've had clinical depression for more than a decade now, and I can confirm that it can and will affect the ability to draw. Practicing self-care is extremely important, and while drawing can aid you in dealing with depression, it can also easily become a burden and a source of guilt.

I highly recommend taking a look at this page and doing your best to follow their instructions: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/depression/self-care-for-depression/

If drawing doesn't work out for you right now, don't fret. :) Just try out new things and see if something sticks, and when you're feeling better and more energized, you can tackle gestures again! There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and it doesn't make you less of an artist. You deserve to feel good!

@HomuKuro: That actually sounds like fantastic self-care! We certainly need to push our limits and explore our boundaries, but allowing ourselves some reprieve can be just as valuable and necessary. I figure the duration of the breaks can vary per person (some people might only need a minute, some might need five or more), but that is an excellent suggestion.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.