Anyone know how to draw the body twisting or in more complex poses. Also how do you shade/ draw muscles to make it look like its apart of the body and not some line?

Page d'accueil Forums Pratique & conseil Anyone know how to draw the body twisting or in more complex poses. Also how do you shade/ draw muscles to make it look like its apart of the body and not some line?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Funkle420 1 year ago.

• S'abonner Favori

im a beginner artist but im not sure how to correctly draw the body in more complex poses. any advice

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Hello! This is an excellent question, but a bit difficult to answer without knowing a bit about your process currently.

It is important to start with a line of action to map out the pose, and use volumes to note the positions in 3D space of the ribcage and pelvis, noting which directions they twist. I would recommend practicing using volumes, and learning perspective if you want to fully understand how things work in a 3D space. I will linik a few resources that will help explain it better than I can in text!

This channel has some very helpful videos! I recommend starting with this video:

ELEMENTS OF CHARACTER: Gesture, Forms, and Animation

For a more technical approach, try this one:

EMULATING EVEN AMUNDSEN II: Pose and Camera Position

For muscles, I recommend studying anatomy as much as you can through anatomy books, free online resources, or courses like this one by Ariel Olivietti that I always recommend! I really admire TB Choi's work as well, and how she shows her in-depth knowledge of anatomy. Her approach to figure drawing and drawing muscles can be seen here:

How to draw body by TB Choi

Let me know if there is anything more specific you'd like to ask :)

• slump edited this post on April 20, 2022 3:54pm. Reason: made thumbnails look neater lol
    • slump edited this post on April 20, 2022 3:56pm. Reason: oh wow that broke the post even more, trying again

Omg thank you for suggesting that moderndayjames channel! I've been looking for good online animation classes and it looks like they have a good one!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.