Weight and Balance??

Page d'accueil Forums Pratique & conseil Weight and Balance??

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sanne 10 years ago.

• S'abonner Favori

Since using this site, I have noticed my understanding of anatomy has improved immensely, but I still have trouble making the figures look as if they are actually, well, /there/. Moving, sitting, being placed in general, they look as if they're floating a bit, and I was wondering if there were any tips or tricks to help with that, or if it will come with practice. Thank you for any responses or help in advance! :)

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Do you have any examples of your works where this happens?

Usually the reason why models look like they're 'floating' or 'just there' is because you're not putting any real interaction with a background in the drawing.

For example:
    When a character sits on a surface, their butt and thighs squish because the weight presses down on the surface, causing the mass of the buttocks to spread. If you don't convey the squish onto the surface properly, it will look like they're not sitting on it/not putting their weight down.

Then there's also the perspective and where in the drawing you put the focus on. If your background doesn't look realistic or proportionate to your subject, your subject will not look like they're part of the environment. They'll always look out of place!

My suggestion is to practice with models that interact with the environment. Try to draw out the background first, then gently nudge the character in there. If you draw the character first and then the background, you increase the risk of the subject not being integrated properly.

I hope this helps! If you have any examples to show, we'll be able to give you more specific pointers. :)

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.