Face Advice

首頁 論壇 批評 Face Advice

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Pixeld 3 years ago.

• 訂閱 喜歡

I've been working on improving my understanding of head/face structure. It's only been 4 days now and I don't expect much improvement in that time span, but I need some advice on priorities when drawing a head as I can't seem to grasp how to portray a full head in the 30 second intervals. Any pointers on head anatomy? This and any other advice are welcome! These are what I have so far: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AokZFvdwXOS1yUPVByNMn6WPhJiYyl03?usp=sharing

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

Nice job on your post, Yarileaf, very promising and full of potential in your 30 second gestures, yet, I've got one small suggestion: Would you please like to go for the general facial proportions and angles (facial relationships, and the perception around them), in 29 seconds, in one calligraphic stroke, pretty please?

And you wanna know why???? Because, you get a more expressive and cartoony signature style of rendering facial relationships.

Hope you've found it completely and definitely invaluable.

Polyvios Animations.

Ps. take care!!!

I looked at your head drawings. They looked very good. You want to do a head in 30 seconds & you have been doing this for only 4 days. It is going to take practice. Practice makes better. The more practice you do, the easier it will become. Put the actual date on your drawings. Why? You can go back to compare drawings to see your progress. For head anatomy look on the internet for free. Also, Line-of-Action has a section on heads & expressions.

You've got an excellent grasp of facial structure in general, these sketches are very good! I love (and, as an aspiring comics artist, very much envy) your expressive linework.

One of the 30-second drawing techniques that's stuck with me since my college days is to pay attention to the shadows first. Block in where the mid-range shadows are. Then go back and fill in darker shadows. Then fill in details and fine-tune highlights, etc. The idea behind this is that shadows make up the majority of the form of the object, so focusing on those helps prevent getting distracted by details. Your mileage may vary, of course - I struggled to wrap my head around it, but I was not very disciplined with my practice in those days. :)

Also, if you want some in-depth tutorials on facial anatomy, the How To Draw Comics website has some really good free resources. Eyes, lips, noses, and even ears are broken down by muscle group, with explanations of how those muscles interact and tips for visualizing the feature in 3D. The art style it's geared toward is more realistic than cartoony, as well, so it would probably be a helpful resource even if your end-goal is more realistic portraits than comic art.

Keep up the good work!

3 1

Only thing I can suggest for that is, if you keep on at this pace, you will get there. You have a very good understanding of forms, depth and clean lines. Maybe also try limiting your strokes, that way your pen is on the paper longer (or stylus or whatever) and you can get more experimental, expressive and even more decisive on where your line priorities will be. You may eventually start creating work with such minimal strokes with the same, if not similar, effect.

1 2

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.