10 Minute Drawing

Home Forums Kritiek 10 Minute Drawing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Carol Hunter 2 years ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

https://i.imgur.com/fjpspq9.png

I'd love some critique of this drawing; it's been a while since I've done any figure drawing, so I'm quite rusty

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Hey there, angst, I'm really enjoying the crafting talent that went into this sketch, as far as the finished sketching goes. That's some very great potential.

So.......if I was to pick one issue, or problem, it could and would be that her right foot is a bit too floaty and scribbly in my angle. Would you kindly work on loosening up your broad and wider strokes with 30 minutes of 30 second hands and feet stroke sketches? (60 broad, bold strokes) And would you please kindly look at this link while you're at it?

The two reasons: A) You'd be able to spend the least amount of time with the forms and details. B) That link is a tribute to Hornet, now Mx. Abi, and how much it means to practice and progress in the name of myelin and progress. But wait, there's more?! Just so you'd think that 30 seconds ain't enough, then why don't you kindly check out this link??

Good luck to you, and I hope these helped.

I am not sure, whether 10 minutes is a good time frame for you right now. You are still struggling with proportions quite a bit, and neither you nor your piece gain a lot by spending time on attempting to hatch out a mediocre foundation. The shapes you found for belly, hips and thighs actually look nice, but the upper body, head and arms are oversized. Also, you don't find your lines immediately, and you don't use long lines, instead going more for a trial and error approach with quite short strokes.

I would recommend practicing one or two minute drawings for now, focusing on simple shapes and clear lines, and consciously reducing the amount of finer details you use for meassuring proportions.

Hatching properly is quite a science in itself, and it has to start from a good constructional basis, as finding a good orientation for the hatching pattern, that doesn't distract from the pose can't be immediately observed from the reference, and has to be partially deduced from abstract methods. I know that showing volume without halftones is sometimes hard, but for now you should try to keep it to a minimum until you become very confident with basic anatomy and find the excess focus to also take a first look into how lighting works, and what tones indicate which types of shade on a body.

Looks good for 10-minute sketch and not having drawn for a long time. If you want to improve, the most important thing, of course, is to KEEP DRAWING. Do that daily and you'll keep getting better and regain your old form. Stay after it. Cheers!

Looks lovely! Try focusing on the bigger shapes and forms instead of the details, at first at least :)

With Figure drawing, you should focus on motion and gesture when you first start. Look at the angle of the hips and shoulders. They are indicators for everything else in the pose. Don't worry about the head and face as much (this isn't portraiture). Focus on the body and movement! Imagine the shoulders and hips as 2x4 planks of wood with the spine as a rope connecting them. Draw that in perspective until you familiarize yourself with the skeleton. I get my drawing ideas from some models, and I practice them a lot.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.