gestures, 3 - 4 min

Home Forums Kritiek gestures, 3 - 4 min

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Inkingandoverthinking 2 years ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

hello! each one took me about 3 to four minutes. im trying to capture the flow of the body, using the ribcage, hips, and other body parts as guidance points. the legs and arms are deliberately done to just show the flow and direction of the limb, rather than the actual detail. i am focusing more on the torso area here, and how it relates to the rest of the body. im trying to exaggerate my figures too, but thats a more slow process haha. oh i forgot to mention that im trying to have more confidence in my linework by doing bold, long, and quick strokes

first one

second one

third one

last one

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

You seem to meet your goals. I love your lines a lot, your torsos look very plastic, the movement looks natural and dynamic. If those figures would be printed in a drawing tutorial as examples, they wouldn't look out of place.

Thank you! Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve? Also, is plastic a bad thing? English isn't my first language haha

No, plastic is a good thing, I wanted to say it gives a good idea of their volume.

How to improve,.... well, my house rule, if less than 30% of my practice drawings fail, it's time to raise the stakes. You seem extremely good at what you do, so you should find something more difficult. You got good foundations, now go build a house on them.

What you chose is an extremely personal artistic decision. You could go for stylization, try to go the extreme of exagerating movement, or test out how much you can simplify your shapes without losing information. Or start exploring lighting and shading, or add more anatomical details, or both, to go for an extremely naturalistic finish.

Alternatively you could train to draw a lot quicker or from memory, so you can take passer-bys on the street as reference. Or go drawing from your mind altogether without reference, so you can start storyboarding. Maybe instead of single figures you could go for complete compositions. Or start looking out for different artists, that can really drop your jaw and try how closely you can copy what they do. There is a free pdf of Arthur Guptil's "Rendering with pen and ink" on the net, just browse it, and you'll find a boatload of great artists to be inspired from. Talking about pen and ink, experimenting with different pens, pencils, brushes could be worth a try...

Wow thank you! I appreciate the critique you gave me it is very insightful!! I will definitely try that out thank you

Wow thank you! I appreciate the critique you gave me it is very insightful!! I will definitely try that out thank you

Nice work on your quick bodies, inkingandoverthinking, very slicker job on your line economy and quality.

But I've got one smaller criticism. I love all of your quick poses, but I'm not getting enough of the animated cartooning in each and every one of them, though they would and could benefit from memory sketching for the rough animations. Would you please work quickest with those figure drawings with 30 minutes of 2 minute figure sketches,all from memory? (15 drawings of figures)

The reason why you could and should do this is because, the less time you erase your drawing, the most freshest and the most spontaneous your quick sketches will ever be, especially for your storyboards, layouts and animations. And check out this free PDF of the Shamus Culhane book, see?

Good luck to you, and I hope you'll find these completely, definitely and absolutely encouraging.

Polyvios Animations

P.S. Keep up the great expressivity!

Thank you so much! I will absoloutely work on that! I really appreciate you giving me clear suggestions on how to improve!!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.