Looking for feedback on gesture drawing!

Home Forums Kritiek Looking for feedback on gesture drawing!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Faeriebea 13 hours ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

This is my first ever attempt at gesture drawing! I used krita and an old drawing tablet. Hope someone can give me a some critique!

https://www.tumblr.com/beastryingart/762358841758384128/my-first-ever-attempt-at-gesture-drawing?source=share

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Your posing and general vibe on these are really good! They're very clear and readable.

You've got most of the proportions and posing down pretty well but would greatly benefit from a greater sense of overlap. However I would suggest working on foreshortening/overlapping muscle and fat structure!

Either way good work!

Thank you ver much for your advice!

What do you mean by a greater sense of overlap? (sorry english is not my first language)

The details look nailed down but to me the fluidity of the pose is lacking. Rather than drawing those figures exactly like they are on the image try drawing them based on how you feel they are, try exaggerate something to make the pose more fluid, use simple shapes for some poses that to you look compact or static. Also good the way you tried to construct the pose with a simple skeleton

Hey Faeriebea!

Depending on what you are studying gesture for, the critique can vary greatly. Basing off what you did, I can assume the time you spent was at least a few minutes on each figure and are looking to practice making finished sketches.

You did a beautiful full page of completed figures and it looks like you have a good grasp of drawing. I can recreate every pose and thats my measurement of a successful gesture drawing. Very impressive!

I would say pay attention to proportion and dynamic lines. In the bottom left theres a man crossing his legs, It looks like the legs are too short and the foot in the back appears bigger than the one in the front. Youll hear it 100 times but details should be the last step, so before small things like toes, make sure the overall shapes are the correct size using reference lines. Some poses are a bit static. To make any drawing look less stiff and more life like, use dynamic lines. A quick way to do this is avoid straight lines and perfect symmetry.

Thanks for letting me practice critique! You are already great and I hope you keep a study routine. Dont forget to simplify to make things easier.

• Tokenism edited this post on September 23, 2024 6:20pm.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your advice greatly and i will try to usce more diynamic lines, maybe using shorter poses would be a good idea (it took me 3 minutes per pose here)

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.