my aha moment!

Home Forums Oefenen & Advies my aha moment!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sanne 10 years ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

to help illustrate my point go to: http://iokken-design.blogspot.dk/2013/07/croquis.html.

These are some quick drawings, how long I spend is written with each drawing. my big AHA-moment arose because I noticed very little difference between the shorter and the longer sessions - and sometimes the shorter ones were a little better - a little less over worked.

my big point is this (and many of you know it, but there could be a noob like me among you who could benefit from hearing it): it is the overall image that matters, not the details! don't draw fingers and lips if you've haven't finished the big lines yet!

I always detested the long sessions - the 10 minute ones - because it served little purpose (to me). I started improving my drawings as soon as I realized that it wasn't about doing a completed, fully rendered, smooth detailed drawing, it was about capturing a pose in a very short amount of time. This details can then be perfected in a longer session, but it is the first 30 - 2 minutes that count. No amount of extra time should make the anatomy or overall pose better, and if it does, more work should be put into capturing the overall pose than into the details.

Therefore I limit myself to 30 seconds - 2 minutes sessions and try to put down as few lines as possible (not just sketching wild) so instead of drawing faster, I look and think faster, and consequently draw sharper but less.

In August, when croquis starts up again in my area, I hope to better enjoy the longer sessions because I should no longer be prone to fall into the habit of drawing a foot, a toe, a shadow etc. but do exactly the same as in the shorter sessions, but then have time to study important details on top of a finished gesture-sketch.

Sorry for rambling on xD

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

That's an excellent point! The purpose of practicing is sometimes as simple as 'getting a feel for the shape', rather than the details. :) It's why I enjoy 60 second sessions so much. There's no time wasted on letting your brain nitpick the small details, you just make your fingers copy what they see, then move on without thinking.

I'm glad you had your ah-hah moment there!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.