Starting Out

Home Forums Kritiek Starting Out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Swen 6 years ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

Hi there,

These are my first ever life drawings and I would love some advice. These were 5 minutes each:

http://bit.ly/2mlMvgb

My ultimate goal is to be able to draw poses from imagination. Is this the best way to go about that? Just practising life drawing?

Thanks in advance!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

I’m a beginner at figure drawing too, so I don’t know that I can give u any advice😅, but they look really good to me

Hi Ajay, those look quite good for first ever life drawings.

As for your question, the answer is no. While practicing life drawing is definitely necessary,that alone won't do the job. In order to be able to draw poses from imagination you need a good understanding of the design and function of the human body. This means that your drawing approach must be one of analyzing and understanding the figure, not just copying its contours.

To effectively analyze the figure you need to spend time learning fundamentals like drawing forms in perspective and of course the anatomy of the human figure, how the body is affected by different forces, like gravity etc. It's not that hard, you just need to make sure you acquire the right knowledge.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'll be glad to answer them :).

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.