1 and 2 min gestures, any thoughts?

首页 论坛 批评 1 and 2 min gestures, any thoughts?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Thestripper 3 years ago.

• 订阅 喜欢

Hi!

i'm new here and I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing. If you have anything to say about my drawings, please comment!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0hLSZnj9jq99hmfwwNr5-MByA

Thank you

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Only two observations, you are making them very small and your strokes are choppy, this is because you draw using only your hand. To make them more fluid, use the whole arm.
    -I recommend doing a little warm-up before starting, and don't forget to use all the breaststroke.
    -Make your drawings bigger, 1 or 2 per page.
    They are very good, the anatomy and the gesture, keep it up.

Thank you, will do that!

Howdy Hmmk,

I've just seen your quick sketches, and it seems that you're on the right track on capturing the quickness and movement of those figure poses.

So, if I was to give you an honest appraisal, then it would be that I just don't see enough of your grace and rhythm of your motion. Why don't you please loosen yourself up more, with 83 more minutes of 60 second (1 minute) poses?

The reason why you would and could do more warm-up poses is because, it'll give even more gestural strength in those fun and joyous poses.

Cheers, and I hope you'll find this considerate, informative, and encouraging.

Very good start.

I would recommend, however, your gestures be less about constructive anatomy, and more capturing the pose and the movement. Check out Natural Way to Draw, by Kimon Nicolaides. I guarantee that doing the rapid scribbly gestures that he suggests, your natural eye for proportion, perspective, and rhythm will develop very quickly.

I would also highly recommend a gesture exercise from Experimental Drawing by Robert Kaupelis. He was very much in the same school of thought of Kimon Nicolaides, so both textbooks fit well together. In this beginning gestural exercise, Mr. Kaupelis has the student do gestures in groups of twenty. You start with 5 sec then 10 sec and so on until you get to 1 min or even 5 min. With surprisingly little practice, you can get an incredible about of information in the 5 or 10-sec gesture. Which is fantastic to know when you are attempting to gather sketches in public.

Keep up the good work!

Polyvios Animations and Andrew, thanks a lot for taking the time to comment! I'll continue working on my sketches with your advice

Hey,

They're really great!; How about if you try making fewer lines and longer? this advice helped me a lot, maybe it can help you too.

Cheers!

Thank you for the suggestion, Mai!

Hey Hmmk,

those are great sketches. you seem to pay a lot of attention to detail! i think that a lot of practice will naturally allow you to get smoother more flowing lines. as for specifics, maybe some proportions might require some atteniton. I just watched this video by Love Life drawing that I found quite useful, and I think you might too:

Take care!

Hi.

I liked your drawings. The 2 minute ones got a little stiff compared to the 60 sec. I liked especially the three standing 60 sec poses on the lower half of the paper. If I was to give you a tip it would be to do a whole page of line training. Like doing circles, getting them perfectly round, going both ways, big and small, do sweeping lines, straight lines and go over them again and again to train your arm to move. Do this every day! You will get faster and your line with get better and more beautiful in a short time.

Thanks to both of you, Brian and Thestripper!

&t=701

These kinds of exercises are a great help. But I would strongly suggest to use a soft led pencil or conté instead of the dreaded marker he uses.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.