Charcoal or Graphite?

首页 论坛 实践与建议 Charcoal or Graphite?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Kim 2 months ago.

• 订阅 喜欢

Hello, I'm a new member of this website and am trying to learn gestures and the process of drawing and art in itself from the ground up. I took several years of art classes in High school but didn't retain any of them, the question I have right now is whether I should be learning and practicing with charcoal or graphite. I'm currently using a graphite Faber-Castell pencil and it seems to be getting the job done, but I wonder if charcoal would be a better choice.

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Honestly, I think at this stage, it's just about personal preference. If you feel you're learning things while using graphite, go ahead and keep using what you have. :)

Thanks! I appreciate the advice, if you don't mind, may I ask you a few more questions?

You know, as a follow up to what Kim just suggested, Gustave. The thing about charcoal and graphite is so that you can practice your drawing media and how much mileage you can get out of them. Please do keep on practicing drawing with graphite, charcoal, and more.

Thanks I will do that

Ask away :)

While I'm practicing gestures, should I also spend time drawing figures other than what is given here as more practice? And do you have any other just general tips and tricks?

Gestures are generally a warm up for a longer practice. If you use one of the class modes on the site, you'll see that it takes you from the 30 second lengths meant for gestures all the way up to longer poses (10 minutes to several hours depending on how long a class) where you can work on other elements such as more accurate anatomy, shading, etc.

Yeah sorry, that was an obvious question, I've done an hour-long class and did notice that. The classes have been a help with the two hours I have spent practicing so far, this is a great resource.

I'm so glad to hear that! :D

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.