Figure Studies, 30m class. Critique & advice appreciated!

首页 论坛 批评 Figure Studies, 30m class. Critique & advice appreciated!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Polyvios Animations 1 year ago.

• 订阅 喜欢

Hi! First post but long time site user. Feeling stuck lately, decided to get back to basics and try some traditional studies. I did a 30m class and could use some eyes that aren't mine ^^;

My goal is to be able to draw figures from imagination 💭

Drawings: https://imgur.com/a/RbSGL2E

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

It's a minor detail but your flow feels different from the 30s sketches to the rest of the class study. And what points to me is that you know 30s isn't enough to capture the gesture. But remember that the objective is to sketch the gesture ("C" or "S" line of the pose) and, if you have time left, you can draw parts of the body.

Don't be worried with the overall anatomy unless you have more time. (think of this as what kind of training of sketch am i doing right now: 30s mean i just need to do the spinal line and more time means i can refine the basic anatomy)

Anyway, all these sketches are great: they are objective, the lines are not confusing or overdrawn, you can capture the essence of the gesture.

I'd say these means good news: You're ready for more complex and difficult anatomy. It can be seen that longer duration of sketches are not a problem anymore - You know what must be drawn.

Start practicing more foreshortening/perspective and human anatomy :)

See ya, friend! :3

1 3

@Akirazen I absolutely have been focusing on form more than gesture and I do need to loosen that up when time is limited, I am excited to take that insight and apply it to my sketches. I appreciate the advice, perspective is a bit daunting but that's the point if I'm aiming to improve

• Shyandkawaii edited this post on January 26, 2023 8:55pm. Reason: Didn't realize posts are chronological even if replying to a comment so replying to both so I only make 1 post

Good evening, Shyandkawaii, and welcome aboard, and I'm Polyvios, and how are you doing tonight? So, I've looked at, duped, rotated, flipped, grayscaled, and saturated your drawings up for me, and it seems that all of your quick sketches are all fluid, organic, solid and far more appealing to me in their own ways. Very good job, and please keep going on your first and latest attempts.

If I'm pressed to pick one detail, I'd say that your quick poses don't look or seem flowing and pliable enough to me, especially in those quicker sketches for 30s-1 minute. How would you kindly like to work your pencils in an underhanded position with 30 minutes of 2 minute quick poses, while beginnning with the lightest and loosest lines as possible? As a result, your poses and forms and shapes will become the least mechanical and the most dynamic, spontaneous and alive in your acting drawings that tell the story, visually. If your aspirations to get in comics and art in general, then I'd like to recommend, or suggest, Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud and the PDF of Fun with a Pencil by Andrew L. Reasons: Drawing and storytelling fundamentals, and the Andrew Loomis book, the basic drawing fundamentals or ideas. Now keep in mind that some of the images, though they are all uniquely appealing, they seem to be from a different era. So please take this suggestion with the really smallest grain of salt, by clicking here!

Good luck to you and your developing learning curve

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.