gesture drawing day 5 - 30s/60s

首页 论坛 批评 gesture drawing day 5 - 30s/60s

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Elelele 2 years ago.

• 订阅 喜欢

well here's another set of gesture drawings. i think i'm starting to get it, although i'm still having trouble only using a single line for certain parts. any advice is greatly appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/tHBA8YK

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

These look great! I like how you did many sketches on just one page. I think you could maybe make rough shapes for the hands, feet, and head. Other than that it looks incredible!

These poses feel just a little stiff, like you need to exaggerate the forms more and separate the ribcage and hips. Have you watched Proko's Figure Drawing videos? They break figure drawing down to the simplest forms and build from there. I've found them very helpful and informative!

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-YQfqQQpg3dpCyo9h8BSR1p7b-R2vbXA

Thank you for the advice Minako, I have watched Proko's videos on figure drawing, I guess I should probably rewatch them. I not really sure what you mean by separate the ribcage and the hips? I thought I have been (sort of) doing that. unless Im not supposed to connect the lines?

I'm learning gesture myself so I'm not the best source. But I will repeat what Proko and other artists have said about gesture drawing that I think will help you

Gesture isn't an art style or a technique for drawing completed sketches quickly. It's a way to learn how to evoke a pose or movement with the fewest possible lines. That's why amazing gesture drawings you see really are just a few lines of CSI curves done in 30 seconds. The artist has spent a lot of time practicing capturing the gesture, not the outline, for a long time

With this in mind, we can make a few obvious critiques that I think will be helpful from one person learning gesture to another

1. Stop trying to draw the outline
    2. Stop trying to draw forms
    3. Stop adding lines as soon as the gesture has been evoked
    4. Stop trying to "copy" the gesture and learn to "evoke" the gesture

That last one is meant so that you exaggerate the gesture both to capture more of the silhouette and so that the gesture is easier to capture

The biggest advice (And one I'm still personally trying to beat into my own head) is that these are not meant to be "pretty". They're a way to learn to capture gesture quickly and move on. It's a training method wherein we keep adding the skills we've learned with each new session

Proko's video teaching the basics of gesture

&list=PLBnwmlTQLxzEey1-lsLKjN8BoGtDhb9vS&index=3

Aside from that, I would suggest learning to incorporate CSI curves into your practice. As well, the line of action doesn't seem to be serving a real purpose for your drawings. From what Proko has said, the line of action is the line that runs through the body along it's longest extension. So a pose where the model has their hand stretched above their head and their foot extended forward the line of action would run from the hand to the foot with whatever curve it is extended into. You can then use this line to judge both where you should put the head and other parts of the body as well as have a reference angle to decide how those body parts should be oriented in order to "evoke" the pose

Good start, maybe try to break the figure up into different shapes rather then trying to draw it as one? Other then that keep up the good work!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.