Bending/Twisting forms

Inicio Foros Práctica y consejos Bending/Twisting forms

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Meijiisconfused 7 months ago.

• Suscribirte Tema favorito

Does anyone know how to make it easier to draw bending/twisting forms? I'm using cubes to draw the pelvis and ribcage currently and I'm just struggling with it, sometimes I genuinely don't know what angle a pelvis/ribcage is at, especially when more than 3 planes are visible? Examples of where I'm at below. These were all 1 minute

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Good afternoon, Kermittz, welcome aboard, I'm Polyvios, Polyvios Animations; how are you?

Greater works on your range of twists and turns, but squash and stretch on your torsos, pelvises, and ribcages. I think they have tons enough potential, but I feel that these need a more stronger solidity, but fluidity, therefore liveliness of attitudes. How would you love to try out our interactive drawing tutorial, right here?

As a result of trying out our tutorial, you can, shall, and will be able to learn how to make use of the drawing fundamentals, so that you can and will become a stronger draftsman/artist. Not to mention, to help make your solid forms less rigider, and more than dynamic, flowing, and fluider. If you're curious about gesture drawing, kindly look into the Nicolaides book on drawing exercises, including blind contours. You don't always have to follow his plans too literally, you can be free-er to warm up to the schedules. My hat's off to you and your current and future goals, to give the pelvises and ribcages real squash and stretch. Good luck.

Hi Kermittz!

Sorry for the late reply but I found this topic while scrolling on the forum and I think it's a interesting subject.

What helped me personally is to think first and foremost about the gesture between the torso and the pelvis and then build from that. I think there's a good reason why figure drawing courses like the one from Proko starts teaching first a bean-like form instead of the robo-bean right away.

When I draw a pose with a twist, I always force myself to think about the "S" relationship between the torso and the pelvis. Here are examples from 2 reference pics : https://imgur.com/a/Y5xklyx

Hope this helped, please let me know if you have any questions :)

Edit: I misread your post at the "more than 3 planes" part, my bad. In that case I think my point about the "S" gesture still stands, just ignore what I wrote on the 2nd example.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.