Story telling critique group

Inicio Foros Práctica y consejos Story telling critique group

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Line 5 years ago.

• Suscribirte Tema favorito

Hey, I've been putting off telling stories in my images and mostly focused on getting better at drawing - I'm nowhere near where I want to be skillwise but I notice when I try telling stories through my images I do it really poorly, it's almost like I struggle even thinking of ideas just because it was such a long time ago I drew something thinking of story rather than if it looks right. So I had this idea that maybe we could throw together a theme for every week and critique eachothers storytelling at the end of it - for any skill levels of course with like 6 pictures telling 1 story, practicing composition, line of action and different angles. I thought it would be a fun thing to do and motivate people to go the extra mile, after all art is telling story and so little time is put into it (at least on my part) that I feel it would be a fun thing to try out. What do you think?

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

This sounds interesting!

Can you define what you mean with "story"? I'm not sure if it's similar to a theme, mood or something else.

It sounds like a really good exercise though!

Great! I was thinking along the lines of storyboarding - stories like in a comic except only with visual storytelling and no text (e.g 6 images telling a story about someone saving someone from drowning). Another thing that could be interesting is if only poses on the site was used to convey the story - to really get to use the poses and think where we could use them in other works outside of croquis.

I think it's a great idea, especially as a weekly challenge. Post some text describing the scene/action, then see how different folks interpret the same idea.

The only disadvantage I see to using only poses on the site would be a limitation in the types of "camera angles" available (Bird's eye view and worm's eye view wouldn't be plausible for example) and matching the perspective of different poses in the same scene could make some compositions either flat or incongruous.

• Flarebrush edited this post on October 2, 2018 10:10am. Reason: Spelling

True, I was thinking more as an excercise to get the poses into other contexts. Maybe just use any poses as long as the original ones are shown in the same file?

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.