A try at a rhino

Page d'accueil Forums La critique A try at a rhino

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Polyvios Animations 1 year ago.

• S'abonner Favori

Would love to get some feetback on this rhino i tried. I also tried to do some lineart. https://imgur.com/a/1Dk59Qy

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

Hello, I am a student as well, so my advice might not be the best!
    I think you captured the rhino's proportions and volume quite well!

What would elevate your skill would be to practise drawing basic 3d shapes! The legs can be simplified to 2 cylinders that each start thick and become narrower the more down you go.
    The feet (I forgot the correct word) are like the front of an american truck!
    With those shapes you will have a good foundation to add details on.

I also recommend trying out different brushes and see which one feels super nice to use, that will make your lines more consistent and fun to draw ^v^

Curvy lines look flowy & organic but they also represent indecision.
    What I mean by that is that
    when I draw something with a curved line, I am not forced to decide exactly where a line ends and another begins.
    And so I don't learn as much.
    What would help a lot would be to try and make every stroke count.
    I recommend trying to only use as few straight lines as possible, that way you will always have to decide exactly what stroke you want to do and why.
    If you make a mistake, you can look back at your reference and learn why you made that mistake, it personally helped me! c:

If you need to draw a curve or a circle, try and do it with as few straight lines as you can.
    I really hope this is helpful somehow! .w.

A much much better teacher than me would be Ethan Becker on Youtube, I hope you enjoy the way they teach. Thank you for your time on reading this whole thing!

(As for Ethan Becker, do not worry about the titles, noone is being dissed, the titles are a joke and Ethan is playing a character and is actually very wholesome c:)

1 1

Good evening, Evils Master, and welcome back aboard again, but how are you doing tonight? I too, am a student, so I don't know if my advice could be any helpful, but I'm giving it away anyway.

Great job on rendering your forces, forms, spaces, and relationships of your ungulate rhino. That's a mighty great job you have done on balancing your controls and understanding of your elements and principles of drawing, but they mostly don't look or seem anymore confident yet. How would you like to loosen up your dominant and non-dominant shoulders with 10 minutes of 2 minute multi-toed mammals, also flipped vertically?

Fact, if you flip the image vertically, while you're drawing it, then you can actually get a much better idea on observing and perceiving your design elements and principles of gestures, using your right side of your brain, meanwhile you can and shall push the action and motion of your organic shapes much stronger. For most inspiration, please pick up a copy of Ken Hultgren’s Book on Animal Drawing. This can help you out on understanding animation action and mood and structures. My hat's off to you, and may you find this book very useful and encouraging.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.