critiques about ballpoint pen drawings

Page d'accueil Forums La critique critiques about ballpoint pen drawings

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Braswyn 5 years ago.

• S'abonner Favori

Hello guys! First of all sorry my poor english, I'm not a native english speaker.

I would like some critique about my drawings below. But first I need to say some words:

1. I like to draw with a ballpoint pen because it's allways available. So, I really want to keep drawing with this tool.

2. On these exercises I was very influenced by the first chapter of the book Keys to Drawing: "draw with a pen and don't waste your drawing time with erasing" (or something like that).

3. Of course I want any kind of critique, but I would like some critique and suggestions specially about shading techniques using [cross]hatching and a good hair technique for pen-fans. :-) (I know, my shading and "hairing" style is a little messy!)

These are the images:

Thanks!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

I really like the messy free hand style you have going on here. It adds a warmth (for lack of a better word) to the drawings. It gives them a raw look that works well with the ballpoint pen and the messy/chaotic crosshatching.

The only problem with free hand is that proportions and anatomical structure become a lot harder to keep correct/consistent. Try using the pen as lightly as possible (almost putting no pressure on the actual paper) to map out the proportions.

I like the shading you have going on here, but if you want to get a bit more values out of your pen then try tightening up the lines. The faster you put down a line, the straighter it will be (also if you keep the lines short, the longer the line then the harder it will be to keep straight). Try doing some cross hatching exercises. no drawing, just crosshatching.

As for shading hair in pen, you might want to check out this video.

Pay attention to how the artist blocks in the hair, then shades it from the darker spots first, working out to the lighter parts. You don't have to draw every single strand of hair, you just need to show the shading of it.

Hi Jobbaworks, thank you so much for your feedback!

> I really like the messy free hand style you have going on here.

Blame it on Bert Dodson and his book Keys to Drawing! :-)
    Before this book I read the "Drawing with the right side...", it really helped me. I learned to see (in a artist way) with this book, but it turned me in a very careful artist (it can be good, but can be bad as well: if someone is always looking for the best condition to draw, he'll draw less frequently). Then I started with Keys to Drawing and it taught me some freedom and that this messy (and quick) free hand style can make good drawings. It made me draw more frequently (wich is very importante!). :-)

> I like the shading you have going on here (...)
    > Try doing some cross hatching exercises. no drawing, just crosshatching.

Actually I would like to shade with a crosshatching style like, for example, Rembrandt (like here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Rembrandt_aux_yeux_hagards.jpg and in others of his drawings). It seems that the hatchings touch the surface of the subject.

I would like to find some good exercises for this kind of crosshatching.

> As for shading hair in pen, you might want to check out this video.

Thanks for the video. It's a good one. ;-)

I think I have found what I was looking for! :D

Great videos about pen & ink techniques (also useful for ballpint pen).

Check it out guys:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/LighterNoteProd

Hi.That's a good quality pen https://mypersonaldefence.com/best-tactical-pens/

• Braswyn edited this post on February 11, 2019 9:59am.
    • Braswyn edited this post on February 11, 2019 10:00am.
    • Braswyn edited this post on February 11, 2019 10:02am.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.