Daily Practice Journal

Page d'accueil Forums La critique Daily Practice Journal

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Silmarillion Sun 4 years ago.

• S'abonner Favori

Hi everyone! I'm practically brand new at drawing, but after years of starting on again and off again, I'm really beginning to lean into the practice process in my mid-twenties. I don't have a lot of technical skills, but I'm looking forward to learning and hopefully one day being able to put my imagination to life on the page.

I'm going to try to post my daily figure drawing classes here, as well as any studies or things that I think might be important. I'm still learning a lot, so comment and critique are always really appreciated!

Here are the bits that I did in a 30 minute class today. I ran out on time, so I couldn't do the 10 minute figure.

Can't get the images to load properly

Thanks for joining me on my journey, everyone! Here's hoping we can all get better together!

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

Hey, it's great that you're getting started! I'm on the same boat as you that I've been off again on again to get better, for the last couple of weeks I've been doing daily drawings M-F. To make sure you get started right and have an idea of how to practice I recommend looking up Proko on Youtube. I've watched several of their videos over the years without really practicing and have recently also started going over them again and boy are they helpful! Looking forward to seeing your growth!

2 1

Thanks a lot Vvalverde!

I've actually been watching quite a bit of Proko. They are definitely super helpful and I'll go to them and the channel Love Life Drawing when I feel the need to learn a bit more on the subject.

I've also picked up a few anatomy reference books and some books that focus exclusively on drawing the figure.

The major things I want to work on now are twofold: 1. Getting proper proportion and perspective on the figure and nailing that down really well. I don't want to look at my work in a year or two and realize that I'm lacking in something crucial like good understanding of perspective and form. 2. I have a lot of trouble putting meat on the bones of a figure convincingly, so I'm really trying to work on that.

I'm not worried about lighting or composition or anything like that right now. I'm not even going to focus on details. I just want to REALLY get the most basic foundations and build off of that.

Anyway, sorry about that rant. Just wanted to get my current goals out there in the open. I appreciate all your support. I'm probably going to go do some practice now, so expect some new pictures later today!

Do good work and make good progress!

Didn't have a ton of time today, and admittedly I got a bit distracted studying up on an anatomy book.

Here's some of the haphazard drawings I did while studying.

Edit: I'm gonna figure out how to get these images to post correctly, eventually.

Link to the pic

Hey, sorry I haven't posted much here. My life has been getting pretty busy and I was also feeling a little down these past few weeks. I've been practicing off and on though!

Here are some pics from today's practice session.

I feel like the skeletal frames as such aren't really helping me that much. I always get really confused, hesitant, and frankly a little intimidated when it comes time to put meat on the bones. I don't really know how to fix this besides practicing a ton more. I've been starting to put effort into specific parts of the body to remedy this. Today it was a bit of hand practice, but I've been trying to practice arms and legs in isolation too.

I think I've just got to really dig into the learning process and plow ahead. Hopefully, I'll keep improving!

As always, any constructive criticism or comments are wholeheartedly welcome!

Keep doing good work all!

Hey Silmarillion Sun, it looks like we don't have permission to view the images you linked here. Would you maybe like to try uploading them elsewhere?

@Silmarillion Sun, Hey, I am holding you accountable damn it! Where is the progress report? REPORT SOLDIER!

Alright, guys! I'm back. After getting really frustrated with not being able to upload images properly here and my life getting really busy otherwise, I kinda dropped off on the art stuff for a while. I'm getting back into it now!

And what's better, I'm starting a program to try and do at least a few figure drawings a day. To chronicle this process, I'm gong to be posting the pictures on my Twitter, but I figured I'd like to share them here too.

Just follow the link to my post here: https://twitter.com/MrJax14/status/1219391313994506242?s=19

Looking for any suggestions or critique! Also, I just dig chatting with people on the same journey as I am!

Thanks guys!

Hey Silmarillion Sun,

Allow me to introduce, my name is Polyvios, Polyvios Animations. I'm doing fine, how are you. I looked at your figure sketches, and you'd done a totally greater job at capturing the gesture of the studies with as fewer as 10 lines. Keep it up!

Thanks Poly! I'm doing pretty good. I appreciate the compliment. I'm a bit worried to start trying to work on contour and filling out the form, but we'll get there. I'm taking the steady approach. I want to push myself, but at the same time, I don't want to blow into more advanced stuff until I'm ready.

Anyway, here's the rest of the drawings for tonight:

https://twitter.com/MrJax14/status/1219401913680220161?s=19

Thanks guys! Look forward to talking with you all!

You're welcome, Silmarillion. You're welcome for your reply. Say, in drawings 1-4 in your recent post you'd made yesterday, how long did it really, truly take you to draw them out?

I hope you'll take the true time to answer my question sometime.

Polyvios Animations.

Hey guys! Here's Day 3!

https://twitter.com/MrJax14/status/1219846586806784000?s=19

Sorry it's up a bit late. I only found time to practice late tonight, but I wasn't about to let myself break the streak! This was supposed to be a short practice session because I was tired, but I ended up doing a lot of figures.

Let me know what you all think!

Also, Poly, these are definitely all about a minute in length for total drawing time. Some go a few seconds over or under, but they're all roughly a minute. I'm curious why you want to know. Do they look like they took more or less time? Thanks.~

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.