Gesture Drawing - Looking for feedbacks and critics

Page d'accueil Forums La critique Gesture Drawing - Looking for feedbacks and critics

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Swen 5 years ago.

• S'abonner Favori

Hi everyone!
    I'm trying to study gesture drawing - currently following the Proko course. I wonder if some of you could give me some critics and feedbacks. I've uploaded my sketches on my blog - hope it doesn't break a rule on this forum.
    https://romain-cochet.com/blog/proko-figure-drawing-002
    Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

Hey Cochet!

A lot of drawings here so I wonæt comment on everything but here are three concrete tips:

1. Try to push the opposing angle principle of the shoulders and hips. We tend to stiffen up our poses the longer we work on them. Starting with a quite exaggerated gesture can be helpful to alleviate some stiffness later on :)
    2. Try drawing the rib cage/torso circle as an ellipse instead of a circle to avoid the small torso that you commented on one of your drawings. The rib cage is kind of egg shaped so this should be a no-brainer.
    3. Be aware of line weights. Using variety in line weight really brings depth to sketches. Add thickness/darken lines where one body part goes in front of another, where a body part sits on the ground or in general lines of "edges" (" as there are few hard edges on a body) that face away from the light source. Usually the ones facing downward. I also tend to draw lighter at the apex of sweeping curves. Not sure if this is a good thing, but at least it gives some variation ;)

Oh, and bonus tip no. 4. Practice practice practice ;)

1 2

heyyyy, u are doing a great job!!

I would recommend that you do not lose the marks for the feats, they are important to place the figure in the space, indicate the pose, perspective...

1 1

Thanks, Eirik and Soraya.

Sorry for the delay, I've tried to apply some of your feedback, and I start to feel the progression.

I've listed of my practice on the following page (grouping them by week).

I still need to apply your (Eirik) advice n°3 and 4.

As always, I'm still open to critics.

• Swen edited this post on February 28, 2019 1:18pm.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.