2 min Gesture studies critique plss

Home Forums Critique 2 min Gesture studies critique plss

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jcmlfineart 9 months ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

These are my quick gesture sketches: https://imgur.com/sL2iqZe

My main focus during these 2 min gestures are the flow and weight of the subjects action. I plan to do more but I want to ask for critique on how to improve my draftsmanship and mindset when doing these studies.

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Good afternoonn, Zzzzzzzeus, and welcome aboard, I'm Polyvios, but I'm fine, and how are you? Nicest job on your flow of forces, forms and shapes of all of your lines of action in your bodies and constructions, however, they all seem far too rigidest and farthest too stilted to me and my style. How would you like to please go for 6 minutes of 1 minute scribblest attitudes? Because if you go on board for that approach to your quick sketching, then your storytelling in graphics will become the least timidest and the most dynamic, peppy, and energetic. You would and should be able to be the most direct in getting to the points to your narratives. For most details, please look at these two videos down below.

But if you're absolutely stuck in the aforementioned video above, here's an added bonus video:

Kindly take these here videos with the even littlest grain of salt, and let's hope they've all helped, supported, aided, and encouraged you and your progress.

1 1 1

zzzzzzzeus,

Challenge- Only draw the inner lines of the body, not the edge of the figure.

Why?

When we are so focused on the edge of the figure (I blame kindergarten teachers and children's colouring books), we lose its mass and sense of movement. It's like you're trying to stamp the figure into place when you or I am hyper-focused on the edge between the figure and the background behind it. It squashes the image like bug gusts on a car window, we know what it is, but it's dead. Dead drawings, even when they are hyper-realistic, suck- cause they don't have goods to keep us looking at the work.

But what we want to do is to stir the viewer to jump a bit."Ah! Did you see that!? I think that picture just MOVED!!" That's what all good art does, it's like it's breathing, even the most abstract work has this principle in mind when making an image. But to do that, you and I must understand mass and volume dose do not come solely from the edge of the body's outline.

It is the inner shapes and visible or invisible lines that give life to that object or figure. Take some time to focus on the mass drawing exercise. Try Stucture and Vison by Skylar and Durery.

All the best,

JCML Fine Art

1 4

Thank you Polyvios and JCML!

So its more of thinking about the essence of the pose itself, rather than just seeing it for what it is and getting tunnel visioned on each of the parts of the body. Like thinking along the lines of: what's the story of the action, how can I show the attitude/personality of the person using that action, where is the force being exerted, things like that.

I'll apply the things that you guys said and ask again for critique in the future. Thanks again!

These 2 minute gesture drawings eally do captue weight and flow. There are some parts in which the anatomy becomes rigid (top left dawing and bottom center) where a more loose and freeflowing line could help you achieve the results you want.

I find that in my own gesture studies, when I feel insecure about certain anatomy, I tend to stiffen up my posture and line to compensate. Do you share a similar feeling?

Regardless, very amazing job with keeping the proportions intact and still mantain weight and flow. Beautiful work!

2 1

Bluekev,

GOOD POINT!

Posture is one of the essential things we don't consider enough when we are drawing. Most don't know to or forget to stretch their arms and legs and work on breathing before they start drawing. It's really important to come to the canvas in a neutral state, so you can find the emotional state or story in the figure before you start putting pigment on the surface.

The old adage that "you don't need to be in shape or go to the gym to focus on the mussels that help you draw" is an absolute lie. Being fit is a huge help, especially when you work at your surface for more than 3 hours a day.

Staying in shape, having good posture, and breathing while drawing help you with accuracy when making drawings.

Example? I have a tendency to tilt my head to the left and tuck my right leg under my bum when I draw. So what happens is my plumb lines wobble, which tosses off the whole work. If you suffer from similar problems, changing your workstation set-up may be a good idea, so it's uncomfortable to follow bad habits like these. Also, your posture/breathing will affect your emotional state when you come to the surface- which can be an aid when seeking a section storytelling state.

Warning----> If you are starting to work on your posture, don't push your drawing session longer than you can sit up straight with both feet on the floor. For most of us, it will surprise you how short this drawing time really is and will display why it is so important to stay in shape when drawing.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

JCML Fine Art

2 1

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.