Advice on Capturing Gesture?

Home Forums Critique Advice on Capturing Gesture?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tmxg 2 months ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to capture the gesture in this pose. Any advice?

https://imgur.com/a/onFDXjl

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Certainly!

I really like how flowy and free your lines are. You demonstrate well that you understand the objective of letting loose and draw what you feel rather than what you see.

However, I think you can easily benefit from going back to the core principles of gesture drawing. In a case where you dont know how to capture the gesture, resort back to the line of action and three main masses (head, torso, pelvis). When in doubt, consider where the center is and trail a line down as if you can feel the masses.

I've provided a visual demonstration below. Hopefully this helps!

https://imgur.com/a/PEGNrmr

Thank you this is really helpful!

Hello and good morning, Sadjersh, and welcome to Line of Action. I'm Polyvios, and how are you? Say, I think that your flow of the lines most clearly show, but I feel that the lines and shapes are not drawn too forceful enough yet, if not forced. Would you like to please just go ahead with 46 more minutes of 2 minute poses, using only your underhanded position, from your non-dominant hand? (23 sketches)

The reason why is because, your understanding of gesture drawing ideas(don't want to say rules; just saying ideas) will become the least forced but the most gutsiest, spontaneous and liveliest you've never drawn before. For most details, please look into all practice tips and tricks thru The Little Book of Talent(Daniel Coyle)

Let's hope they've been positively and absolutely concrete.

Hey ! The pose on the drawing has another dynamic than the photo : The torso looks bent forward in the drawing and the shoulders are backward, wheareas it is the opposite on the photo. Personally, I find the pose on the drawing like "a genie with confidence" and I like it.

If you want to capture the pose on the photo perfectly, maybe try exagerating the line of the torso, bending it down to see the difference.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.