Construction Figure Drawing

Home Forums Critique Construction Figure Drawing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Fai 8 months ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Here are some of my construction for figure drawing. I'm still working on keeping the proportion feel believable, trying to avoid stiffness when I'm adding the volume and form, and definitely designing a gesture. Any critique will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Greatest but most spectacular job on your displays of constuctions over forces of the figures, but these poses all seem a bit farthest too rigidest to me in the best of times, but flowing in the not-too-best of times. Would you like to try out our interactive drawing tutorial here?

The reason why is because, it can and will be able to brush up on your drawing fundamentals in gestures and poses, and in the fluidest of poses.

Good luck from me to you.

1 1

Do you have any advice for keeping the figure construction dynamic?

Easy, Fai.

''Feelings first, anatomy second.

Disney Animator, Eric Goldberg.

In other words, crudely sketch out the gesture, then you can carve out the volumetric drawing. See? Let's hope this encourages you the most.

What really helped me with figure construction was this drawing exercise video

As of right now, I think you need a little more practice drawing cylinders. Drawing cylinders tend to be something artists learn early on, assume they've mastered, and slowly get worse at drawing over time. No shame in just practicing cylinders for a few minutes before a figure session, its a great warm up.

After you do that, practice drawing 3D objects that are a little more complicated, like one where one end of the cylinder is a little thicker than the other. Then you can use those shapes to more accurately represent limbs.

You are skipping parts of the body like the joints and the hands because you don't have a Shape shortcut you can draw for those parts of the body, unlike the cylinder you use for the limbs and the boxes for the torso. Use the exercise to experiment with simple 3D shapes to find what you can use to fill your empty joints and missing hands. Try your best to keep your hand shape simple, don't try to carve out every finger, just a general shape that can indcate its size and position.

You got a got a solid sense of 3D already, you can grasp these next concepts easily.

1 1

Thank you so much all, I'll keep that in mind for all the advice :)

• Fai edited this post on August 14, 2023 10:56pm.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.