10min x 3 Human figures

Home Forums Critique 10min x 3 Human figures

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jordanimatic 3 months ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hello everyone,

So I've done a lot errors on those 10 min poses and I don't know if I've done this right. By this I don't mean drawing good but if my drawing process is good.

Here's the link : https://imgur.com/a/e3bWnYZ

• Kluwelyn edited this post on January 10, 2024 2:54pm.
    Space Walk: an Ad-free Android game

Support us to remove this

Yes, lots of errors, mostly in measuring proportions and relations. I think the overall drawing process you are following is basically correct, building a foundation from simple forms, but those 10 minute drawings push yourself way beyond your capabilities.

It looks like you try to learn juggling by immediately picking up 10 balls and trying to keep them all in the air at once.

That is certainly courageous, but you will probably progress faster, if you stick to shorter drawings for now, where you only try to solve a few problems at once, until you are comfortable with solving them. Like learning juggling by focusing on 2 or at most 3 balls for the start, before you add more.

Good thing about the 10 minute experiment, you get an initial idea what your shorties will eventually lead to. But for now, probably better focus on getting used to place the head and torso correctly, exactly like you would do at the start of the 10 minute drawing, but stop drawing after 1 or at most 2 minutes, before you start the next pose. That way you train that first initial steps 5 to 10 times more often in the same amount of daily training time.

Also, you probably get a better feedback on your progress that way, for now. You are working at fewer different problems, always the same type of relations and proportions, so you will have the same types of mistakes appear more often, you can identify them sooner, and your next attempt to correct them will follow sooner.

Once you are comfortable with the head and torso, you will have a solid foundation where the major joints need to be. Then you can start worrying about where the limbs need to go. Don't start adding more balls, while you are still struggling with your initial ones, that will only drain your energy for little gain.

1 1 1

Hello, Kluwelyn, and welcome back. Say, way to go on your harder work on your drawing process of sketching out your figure relationships. I think that you are getting more successful in your figure proportions, angles, spaces, and edges. But, I feel that I'm not getting enough of those flowing and more than fluider quality into your drawing process of figure studies. Why don't you please go ahead with 45 minutes of 5 minute poses (9 drawings), all drawn underhand?

The reason why you could and would do this suggestion is because, your figure's relationships (proportions and angles), will be more successful in terms of how well you can and will push the guts and liveliness into your attitudes. For most info for exaggeration and expression in poses, please look into the free PDF of the Walt Stanchfield Series Volume 2 here.

Let's hope you'll take these with a littler grain of salt.

2 1

You did a good job of keeping the body and your lines simple. You have good line confidence in the torso.

Having a general concept of anatomy can help improve form and deciding where to place your pen/pencil. Drawing a circle for the head is a good start, but think about why you are drawing the circle. Where is that shape in contrast to the rest of the skull? Is it the back of the head? Is it the starting point for the face? Maybe think of the circle as an anchor for the rest of the head that it will connect to. If you can't visualize it, try starting small by breaking down the skull into basic/general shapes. You can then apply that mentality to other body parts.

Your first drawing (on the left) did a good job of showing the person's left/front leg in perspective by giving it an oval-like shape that forms off of the bottom of the person's torso. Also in that same drawing, I can see you used foreshortening to position the other leg. This is a good technique to use for any part of the body in perspective, however it may be best to focus on anatomy before applying a "style" that usually invents itself with the exaggeration of perspective.

My last comment is the have more confidence in your lines. In the right-most drawing, the legs show a lot of "chicken scratch" lines. Try to commit to the line by planning where to put down your pencil, and thinking about where you want your line to end up before you move the pencil. You are off to a great start, stay curious and keep at it!

3 1

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.