I hope I'm doing this right.

Home Forums Critique I hope I'm doing this right.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by IJ 5 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

I don't know if I can do the sorts of exercises that are on this site due to my OCD (it's really difficult to explain), but I was hoping I could get some critique here anyway.

I know the rules say that nude sketches are okay as long as they're not doing sexual acts, but I'm censoring the butt because hey, I'm new here and I don't want to step on any toes. :P

I'm especially having trouble with the hands (the initial name for the file was ihatehands.jpg), namely the right one. I try using models, but I have trouble finding the exact correct model for the hand, and I also have trouble visualizing what I want in my head and then "translating" it to paper. As you can see, I made an attempt at drawing a skeleton for the hand, but it's the wrong size, the wrong angle, and, well, wrong everything else.

Any help would be appreciated. Not just for the hands--if anything stands out, please feel free to let me know.

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

You've got good line control.

To improve at drawing you first need to focus on learning how to draw. Learn the basics of perspective and how to draw simpel threedimensional forms. Any object can be related to a sphere, box or cylinder, so learning how to properly draw these will give you a solid foundation for drawing everything else. The human figure consist of three dimensional forms;it's not flat! To draw it properly you need to learn to think in 3D.

Once you've learned how to draw form it's a matter of analyzing the form of the particular object you want to draw, be it a car, animal or a human.

Thank you!

I just don't know where to start, you know? I'm always overwhelmed with so many different directions to go, so many different suggestions on how to improve. I get so overwhelmed with deciding what to do that I become frozen with indecision and go long periods of time without practicing.

I thought I already knew "how" to draw. I've been focusing on anatomy for years now, but everything still looks flat, and I don't know how to translate it into 3D. People keep telling me to imagine it as 3D, but I still can't actually see anything. :( I get so frustrated because I feel like I'm missing something that everyone else has.

I'm starting to feel like every time I try to fix something, I end up making it worse. How do I get myself out of this mess?

I can relate to your frustration, all the advice and information out there can be overwhelming, and every individual learns in a slightly different way. However there are certain general principles that you can't get around. To become good at drawing you have to learn the basics. Notice that I said this is something that you need to learn. It doesn't exist in your mind automatically nor do you get it by just making tons of drawings. You need to acquire the right knowledge, which means reading books, taking classes, watching tutorials etc.

The frustration you're feeling is due to a lack of knowledge, and the good news is that the knowledge you seek is available out there.

For learning how to think and draw in 3D you may want to check Scott Robertson's How to Draw book or Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions feel free to ask :).

It takes time to master anything.

An year ago I was just as lost as you are. The good part is you are on the right site. The posture exercises are great.

Please start by drawing the basic shapes first...understand their 3D structure (e.g. a ball isn't circle its a sphere)

When moving on to the human body, observe yourself first. Make a video of yourself, talking laughing making different expressions. This will help you understand the anchor points we have on our face which is hidden obviously.

I recommend looking up some great tutorials pics on pinterest. its where they explain to draw the simple 2d stick figure first. Then move on to add bones, then muscles, then the skin. Forget about shading for now. Once you understand this stuff, shading will come naturally to you.

The most important step is to draw draw DRAW!!! I can't stress enough. Draw before bed, when waking up, in the car/ in the restraunt basically whenever you aren't doing anything else.

you have to get real serious about this

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.