What is tone of ground?

Home Forums Practice & Advice What is tone of ground?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ab2qj 3 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hello!

I just got a question, as seen in the title above. I was wondering what was toning a ground...?

I did read the critiques from the figure drawings that I did 4 months ago, but I wasn't really sure what that meant and how to do it.

Thank you for anybody that clarifys and giving the time for the advice!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Drawing is the process of creating an image from dark and light tones. Typically one draws on white paper with a dark medium like graphite or charcoal. That way you create the darks and leave the background for the lights. One could also do the reverse by using dark, or “toned” paper with a light medium. Like white chalk on a blackboard.

More interesting is to use a medium toned paper and two drawing tools, one dark and one light. Charcoal and white chalk for example. That way you use the background paper for the middle tones, the charcoal for the darks and the chalk for the highlights. Lots of old masters did this. Usually they are described as, “colored chalk on toned paper”.

You can buy toned paper in various colors or make it yourself by painting white paper with a light wash of watercolor or acrylic.

Regards,

James

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.