How to practice drawing?

Home Forums Oefenen & Advies How to practice drawing?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Deleted User 6 years ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

I want to draw better and I don't know if I do something right.
    I 've watched Proko's videos about gesture drawing, sructure, bean, and robo-bean (when you imagine a human body like 2 boxes, one for the chest and another for the hips) , so I decide to draw at least one 30 minutes class section for gesture drawing and around 2 hours drawing robo-bean for every day.
    Is that enough, or I need to draw more for a day? Is that a right way of practice drawing? Is there a better method of practice? Here some examples of my drawings for today: ;

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

There isn't a set enough. There is possibly to much if you've got any kind of physical ailment.

As to what the best use of practice is, I find gestures are the best thing for line work, but if say, you want to get better at shading, then drawing random objects around you with special attention to lighting, is going to be a better bet.

also, you didn't actually post anything for examples of your drawings.

For some reason when it comes to art there seems to be this belief that there is a set amount of practice and then you will be "good enough" and practice is no longer necessary.

However, if you look at any other skill we don't believe this. People in complex professions like legal or medical are constantly going back and learning more. Athletes practice constantly, musicians practice constantly.

Visual art is no different.

I strongly suggest that you vary your practice or you will get bored.
    I don't practice the bean specifically so much anymore, but I do gestures and use class mode constantly.

I go to a live in person event once a week, I use Draw This on you tube for a streaming drawing session once a week, and then I generally use this site at least once a week for a 30 to 60 minute human figure study.

In the morning I use the animals for a 10 minute daily sketch.

and the constant in the human figure drawing is the gesture.

It warms you up, it gets you in the right frame of mind, it gets you looking, it gets you ready to work. And when you have a single human figure that you are working from it lets you learn their proportions, and shape. How they move. So when you sit down to do a longer image you are ready to go you have already studied them.

Also if you are weak in an area ,focus on it.

I have done several studies using this site to zoom in and just do noses or mouths.
    About once a month I do just a hand or foot study.

If you want to get really good you have to learn to enjoy practice for the sake of practice. You have to love it, and view it as part of your creation of art. Not a means to an end.

Verwijderde gebruiker

Hey Whichewr. I think your drawings are pretty good. And your boxes look clean and pleasing. Maybe drawing a center line of them would help viewer to see a bit of volume. Just keep practicing and learning.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.