30 sec gesture drawings critique

首頁 論壇 批評 30 sec gesture drawings critique

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by slump 2 years ago.

• 訂閱 喜歡

Hello

I started practising figure drawing about a week ago and have been doing 50 30 sec gesture drawings a day.

Here are my recent gesture drawings.

https://imgur.com/a/eKV4P8t

Am I doing this right? Any critique is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Marvelously animated stick attitudes, testolerssi. Very great looseness and crudity in the thumbnail attittudes. Nice job on showing a range of expression and movement.

But where's the forms and spaces and relationships? Would you like to go on board with our interactive drawing tutorial, so that you'd be able to catch up on your drawing fundamentals? Thanks for your post, Testolerssi.

Practice makes myelin, and myelin makes perfect.

-Daniel Coyle.

Pick up a copy of The Little Book of Talent on Amazon or your imported book store near you.

Have fun and take care.

Hi! It's great that you're doing so many gestures a day, and 30s is a great timeframe to aim for. You can see the expression of the poses, even if your gestures are simple! That said, it would be beneficial to start thinking of your gestures in a 3D space since these are pretty flat and would be difficult to translate these into a full figure drawing.

I would recommend first drawing a single line of action to capture the motion of the pose, and breaking the body up into two sections for the ribcage and pelvis in addition to the head and limbs. As you move forward, it will become crucial to understand the different parts of the body in 3D space, and how they twist and turn. For example, in this image, the hips tilt to the right and downwards, while the ribcage twists more left and a bit up upward. You could draw a shape for each, showing which way they tilt to give an idea of how the inner structure of the body twists. You can represent these with 3D forms or simpler shapes to help show their angle.

I would also recommend splitting the arms and legs into two sections. Your current method of drawing curved lines for the arms and legs is great and expressive, so make sure to keep using curved, expressive lines even when splitting them into sections!

Upping the detail of your gestures might take more time, so you could start longer and work your way back down to 30s as you're comfortable, or aim for fewer, more detailed gestures for a bit.

Great work so far!

• slump edited this post on November 9, 2021 5:13pm. Reason: fixed a word

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.