Applying Loomis's Lessons

首页 论坛 实践与建议 Applying Loomis's Lessons

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Gibberibberish 4 years ago.

• 订阅 喜欢

I've had a stack of books by Andrew Loomis for quite a while that I've really been neglecting. I guess I just found that they were a little too demanding to follow. Starting this week though, I've committed to getting through "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth" by going from page to page, front to back, copying every diagram and coming up with exercises to apply the information. Just trying to be as thorough as possible so I don't wind up lost.

So far I've only made it to page 32 but I feel I've improved a lot already. Any feedback that could help me to improve further - maybe see problems I'd missed - would be appreciated. A couple of the images may look skewed simply due to the angle they were photographed at.

I begin each session with a quick set up of the proportions, which I then try to recreate in 3D.

Here's the same idea but executed more meticulously.

Trying to turn the forms in perspective.

Applying the proportions to reference, then trying to imagine the subject from a different angle.

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

I can‘t swear it‘s possible for all these poses, but a bunch of them it should be doable to run a figures class. Might make it easier to apply what you‘re copying out if you slow down a little and get in some concrete practice on this specific style of mannequinization. A bunch of these poses are stylized in a very 50‘s way so it‘s not something you‘ll find tons of reference for. It‘s particularly noticeable in the stuff that‘s part of a walk cycle/arabesque series. (If you‘re interested in the issue I can cheerfully blab more and provide sculpture references and ballet discussion... it‘s a giant thing. Can‘t really talk about the animation side, but there‘s definitely that too)

Also if you have drawings from previous classes, taking one and trying to apply the going 3D process might be informative. Pick something simple and easy, and just see how far you can push.

The other thing with doing classes focusing on a specific pose is you can compare how you draw a pose that‘s really rotated with one where you‘re trying to do the rotation yourself.

Also, this might be an instance where tracing is actually helpful. Not necessarily trace the whole book, but try different tracing methods on the basic mannequin and the 3D expansion.

These are quite amazing! I never thought of taking that approach! I studied Loomis for a bit but I couldn't get past the lighting section. His books are quite hard to stick with, for sure.

I'm not sure on what advice I could give you for I think you've far exceeded my own abilities XD But perhaps maybe you could try experimenting with the other proportion sets Loomis mentions on page 28. Of course, only if you're up to challenge yourself further. I definitely know how hard it is to stick with this kind of work, and for that I commend you :)

also, remember to experiment with your own poses without a model. He mentions this on page 41, I believe

well thanks very much. I have been doing plenty of my own created poses as well, mostly for the perspective problems. I'd take a picture but my tablet camera is really inconvenient to use.

I've also been studying from some Greek/Roman statues (or replicas of such.) I find that they're easier to work with as the forms are a little exaggerated and simplified. (sorry for resolution)

I've been wanting to add more to this but there's been a lot of inconveniences keeping me from uploading my work. I have still been working on this regularly though and I've got a lot I'd like to post, too much really, so I've picked what I feel are some of the best pages. Unfortunately, these were photographed with a less-than-great camera and lighting situation, so some of them are a bit blurrier and more warped than they appear in person. Incidentally, if anyone has some tips on photgraphing one's work more accurately, I'm all ears.

Proportion set-up as warm-up

Exercises in maintaining proportion/perspective of rotated limbs

Weight distribution with a simplified skeleton

10 minute figure drawings from reference

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.