Am I do this right?

Home Forums Practice & Advice Am I do this right?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Nixonfj 3 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hi all,

I've been practicing gesture for the past two weeks with the timer set to 40 seconds per image. Links to a pic of some gestures I drew today https://imgur.com/a/ci4bE72and the stack of drawings I've done so far.

I'm afraid I might have just been wasting time and instilling bad habits after watching a few conflicting videos on YouTube. I try to focus on capturing the movement of the lines and the result is some terrible proportions. In some sketches I can't even tell what I've drawn. Overall I'm feeling a little frustrated and tired.

What is the right approach to gesture drawing? How can I improve and will good proportions come with more practice? Thank you all so much!

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Hi there! Have you gone through this tutorial? :) https://line-of-action.com/learn-to-draw

In some exercises, it's okay if your short drawings don't look like much of anything. Most of the time, proportion is not what you're after in 40 seconds.

first congratulations for your great effort and perseverance.
    I do not have much to be drawing but I already passed where you are, this drawing is very fruitful and more if you do not see your progress, but it is part of the experience.
    -The first thing is the anatomical study, draw the whole body in three views, front, profile, 3/4. This helps to memorize the basic canon of the body, then you can study the body more thoroughly.
    -do not compare your work with that of other people, not all of us manage to advance at the same pace.
    -Finally, do your sessions in class mode, working with different times works very well.

keep negotiating and studying, find a balance between practice and study and I assure you that you will notice your progress

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.