Critique on figure drawings, please :)

Home Forums Critique Critique on figure drawings, please :)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Gwoi10 1 month ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hi everyone! Title says it all; I've been drawing for around four months now. These sketches (https://imgur.com/a/pQ3JiYT) are mostly 10-minute ones from the end of 30 minute classes. The past few weeks, it feels like I have been hitting a wall and not getting any better. Any critiques or advice would be much appreciated!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Good afternoon, I'm going to help you in any way I can. I'm not very good, but I am able to recognize mistakes in your sketches that I made in the past.

I will be using a translator since I am not very good at English.

Here I go: Your main problem is your lines, it is normal for beginners and it is difficult to dare to leave it and take a step forward. The hairy line can give you some details about what you need to learn to correct it and become a better draftsman:

First of all, the hairy line tells us that your lines lack security. To improve this aspect, I suggest that you make long lines with your hand raised from the blade, not with your hand lying on the blade. It is important to mention that the further you hold your pencil from its tip, the better.
    So take 10 minutes of your time on the days you can draw and make long lines, curves, geometric figures, things like that with the pencil pose that I mentioned.

With this your lines will improve noticeably over time. I know that it is very difficult to get used to drawing with your free hand, but this will be the best to obtain security and firmness in your lines.

Now, I suggest that in your classes when drawing a model and after drawing the line of action, you draw the most basic parts of the body as geometric figures. Example: The head can be a cylinder, the torso a square, the hips a square as well, the legs as cylinders as well, and the arms. Try to follow this way: line of action, geometric figures and above that base is when you can venture to draw the human body above that base

I also suggest that you study the basic concepts of illustrative drawing, it will help you a lot with your sketches and train your mind to understand everything mentioned above in a great and very fun way!

I am totally sure that if you pay attention to these tips for at least 10 minutes of your time per class, over time your sketches will improve a lot. I have nothing left but to wish you the best and ask you not to give up on this beautiful path that is illustrative drawing.

Don't give up artist!

4 1

Hey Gwoi10,

I completely agree with Rincitaporfa. Cleaning up your lines (literally) will make a world of difference and fix a lot of other problems automatically.

If you haven't heard of 'drawabox' ( https://drawabox.com/lesson/1 ), the website does an amazing job at teaching the basics (line and also the structure aspect that Rincitaporfa mentioned among others) and I would very much suggest going through their basic lessons before doing anything else.

Keep going and happy drawing! :)

1 1

hiya there,

your proportions are coming along quite nicely the figures are all clear and well structured,

id say you should try to draw with singular lines, many of your lines are still sketchy and scribbly, try to make more confident strokes, also when shading use a light touch to skim the paper back and forth quickly so your shadows are more cohesive, try to incorporate more details like toes and the shape of muscles within the body

overall these sketches are really good, keep it up!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.