Critique requested for 1,5,10 Gesture drawings

Home Forums Critique Critique requested for 1,5,10 Gesture drawings

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Kim 5 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hello!
    This is my first time using this site for gesture drawing. I really like the classroom feature for practicing! I am very interested in further improving my drawing skills overall. I heard from a friend that gesture drawing will help.

But as I draw gestures, I feel anxious in drawing my lines. I'm very use to doing chicken scratch sketches and I certainly feel the urge to continue that method instead of using those 3 types of lines suggested. i want to improve my pencil skills as well as learn better anatomy. I ask for advice and critique on my session.

1 min drawings: https://imgur.com/a/SQLdB4Y

5 min drawings: https://imgur.com/a/Xj94140

10 min drawing: https://imgur.com/a/BBqTOm6

Thank you very much!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Welcome to the site! Really glad you are enjoying it so far. :)

You seem to be focusing on the contours of the figures - that is, the outer lines of the shapes that make up the body. This is very tempting and what most artists are tempted to spend all of their time on, because it feels like that's what will make your work "good."

However, if your goal is to improve at drawing and general anatomy, you need to let go of making "good" finished pieces and put a lot of energy into doing exercises that aid your understanding of what's behind all those contours.

To start with, I don't see any construction work underneath your drawings. I would say start with a line that describes the general action of the post, from head to toes if possible. Usually the spine is a big chunk of that line, as a clue. This is what the 30 second poses are for helping you practice, although it should be the starting place for almost all the work you do of any length.

Then, try to put the hips and and ribcage on top of that line. Remember that both of these are 3D structures, so the "shape" that will best represent them in your 2d drawing is going to change depending on the angle you are seeing them from. Your one and two minute poses is where this will usually come in. It's okay to be wrong, just make your best guess. You will learn something either way. One thing I also like to do is to draw a line through the pelvis and the shoulders that show how those structures are tilted compared to the main line of the body.

Try to identify the major body joints and how they are connecting to the hips and ribcage. Also, what parts of the body can you NOT see? WHY can't you see them? Does one arm look particularly "short" because a hand is reaching toward you, for example? You can start to work on these questions in your 5 minute drawings.

One of the goals of under-construction is to make notes about what's going on inside of the body, to inform those contours that show us the outside of the body. This is much harder than drawing the contours, because you can't see it directly. But it will make your contours so much better and eventually enable you to draw from imagination instead of reference with relative accuracy.

It is 100% okay if these pieces don't look like anything, or if that under-construction makes your 10 minute piece look quite messy. You do not need to be making finished drawings to show off of during practice time, you need to be learning new things. :)

gosh! thank you so much for such detailed advice! This is exactly what I needed! I'll try my best to start working on these.

You're welcome! I suspect over the next few days you may get more advice from others as well. There are some really amazing people in this community! :)

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.