Feedback for two 30 minute sketches!

Home Forums Critique Feedback for two 30 minute sketches!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Aunt Herbert 12 hours ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hello Line of Action community!

I started making considerable effort to improve my figure drawing skills this summer and I've just been going at it on my own. Here I'm sharing two sketches I did near the end of a longer figure drawing session and I hope you might provide me with some feedback as to what areas I need to work on, obvious glaring mistakes, things I need to look out for etc.

I'm currently following Proko's figure drawing lessons and starting the anatomy lessons so I do my best to draw as much as I currently know. Regardless, any critique is appreciated!

This is my first time posting on here so I hope this link works :D

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32vhlhw4rt43asg/AAC3hnkuXdyzJ8mpQlrV6PH9a?dl=0

Thank you all! Happy drawing!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

That's a very sweller job on your longer, 25-30 minute poses, miile, that's a more greater job I've seen so far, in terms on how you've constructed the forms, in terms of how you've captured the perspective, proportions and foreshortening, and in terms of the bone and muscle anatomy!

So.....as far as my nitpick or two is concerned, I'd like to say that some of the edges and their perceptions are just a bit too wobbly, a bit too stiff and rigid-er. (Despite being a technically good series of longer studies) Would you like to kindly loosen and solidify the next series of nude figures with 30 minutes of 10 minute figure drawings? (3 figure drawings)

The reason why you could and would, and should do this idea for bettering your drawing talents is because, if your next current goal it to improve your understanding of the overall proportions of the human form, and to make those proporiton drawings less stiffest, and the most dynamic, vital and energetic in the posing.

Cheers, good luck, and hat's off to you.

It took me a while to build up the confidence to answer, as your sketches sent my quality sensors into a bit of a roller coaster. My first impression was, "Oh, that looks really good", then on my second glance I thought: "But something is off." On the one hand, you are clearly 90% there, on the other hand there is still that rookie vibe to the images, and it's quite hard to pinpoint down that last 10%.

On the male figure the whole arc from the hip, shoulders to the face and hair, the linework seems 100% spot on. The shading on the shoulders seems a bit overpowered, though, making his front shoulderblade stick out in a strange way. Is his front hand buried in sand? What does the shadow to the left of his forearm indicate? Is that a cast shadow from the forearm and elbow? Then why doesn't it go all the way to the knee? Talking about the knee, I find it hard to understand, where his left leg is. Shouldn't there be a part of the left knee visible? Is that somehow a cast shadow behind him, or is that his left foot? You found good solutions for shading parts of the body, but the shading seems inconsistent over the whole image. Sometimes the contrast between darker and lighter shapes seems smooth, sometimes rather rough, on some parts your darkest dark seems to be way lighter than on other parts, and I can't really imagine a lighting situation that explains the difference in tones. Also I feel with putting so much work into working out light and darks, a cast shadow on the floor would help the eye decipher the intended light sources quite a bit.

On the female figure the proportions of her thighs and calfs dont seem to match. Either that hip is too bony or those calfs and feet are too bulky. Then you put a really strong shadow on her front thigh, but shouldn't that be matched with equally dark shadows somewhere on her shoulders and arms?

I should point out, that the overall work is still really good. I have an annoying way to critique people: if I list endlessly many minor flaws, that's not to tear you down, it's because I love the quality you already achieved.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.