Gesture sketches

Home Forums Critique Gesture sketches

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Toonrog99 5 days ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hello.

I am new here and just finished a 30-min class to work on my gesture drawing. I would like to improve my overall dynamic figure construction as I feel like my drawings are stiff and lack movement/line energy. I also have trouble keeping my sketches small after putting down the line of action.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Dre123 edited this post on February 6, 2019 5:04pm.
    • Dre123 edited this post on February 6, 2019 5:05pm.
    Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

We have the same bad habit of using too many lines in our sketches! :D

Don't get me wrong, some extra exploratory or constructive lines is good in early drawing stagesm, but we tend to end up with a lot of them. Struggling to commit to a few stronger lines. I don't really know how to get rid of the habit other than being aware of trying to draw cleaner.

To end with the good: Very nice flowing shapes and good proportions!

Keep it going!

Great job! Here's a tip for getting rid of that habit. Try using a pen instead of a pencil. Using a pen will force you to be more thoughtful and help increase accuracy instead, thus reducing the amount of lines you would normally put down. Good Luck!

Thank you Eirik87! I do notice that I start overthinking while sketching and probably questioning what I am doing. I will work on being more aware of this.

lkimacy, thank you. It makes a lot of sense. I will take your advice!

wow and yes this is what this site is all about...the lines of action is there, please keep posting your progress for us.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.