Hand studies

Home Forums Critique Hand studies

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Kim 5 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Since June I've been doing regular 30-minute class sessions in an effort to learn how to draw hands. There's been a definite improvement: my 30s hands look a lot less like pencils stuck in plasticine, and when I'm out peoplewatching I'm no longer afraid to at least attempt the hands (actual outcome may vary but it's the thought that counts). Strangely enough I have the most trouble with seemingly straightforward gestures - edge-on, palm or dorsal view - possibly because it's harder to bluff my way through the anatomy.

(I killed my grey pen doing that last one.)

I feel I should change my routine a bit, focus more on full body poses instead of just hands 24/7 - maybe practice basic 3d shapes and lighting, too, as I spend far too much time working out where to put the shadows instead of thinking "this shape = this kind of shadow", which probably won't help me much in the long run.

Any and all advice welcome!

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

I've been trying to spend a week or two on one area studying and then moving on to another area. My thought processes that I don't get too caught up in one area and I can spread my learning. And then cycle through all the areas and then repeat. I feel like moving around and studying helps me in all areas such as by shading the face maybe I learn a little bit more about shading the hands. I like the images that you posted keep up the good work.

Your hands are fairly strong. I see a few minor issues, but for me, the key is this paragraph:

I feel I should change my routine a bit, focus more on full body poses instead of just hands 24/7 - maybe practice basic 3d shapes and lighting, too, as I spend far too much time working out where to put the shadows instead of thinking "this shape = this kind of shadow", which probably won't help me much in the long run.

Sounds like you've done a great job of self-diagnosing! I definitely urge you to put your own study-plan into practice for a couple of weeks. I really look forward to seeing where it leads you. :)

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.