How to keep improving?

Home Forums Practice & Advice How to keep improving?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Polyvios Animations 2 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hi, I've been drawing for a few years, but I feel like recently I've stopped improving. I usually draw in pencil with a mix of drawing from photos, from imagination, and, when I can, drawing from life (usually my own hand or objects around me). I'm not sure how exactly to push myself next to keep improving, I started drawing only with pen but aside from figuring out how to crosshatch it doesn't feel very outside of my comfort zone. Does anyone have suggestions? It would be very appreciated, thank you.

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

I'd like to see some of your practice works so I can help. Also, what do you usually draw?

Get out of your comfort zone to improve. Try new media, pencils, conté. Do you do gesture drawing? If not then get on it.

Have a go at different mediums or even try a few art challenges. Ask yourself.. What do I draw loads and what am I good at? Then try and do that with a new medium

I myself felt just like you as a beginner yet I tried a couple of mediums and now am much more excited by art due to the variety and that everyone's drawings or paintings are unique!! You keep doing what you love and certainly try something new

Teia

This question disturbed me very much some time ago. At that time, I realized there are a lot of information for beginners, but if you have already reached a certain level, you need todig deep to find something. Therefore, I went to the Internet to look for advice there. And I found a few things that helped me and I want to share them here

Learn the most basic basics (if you haven't already). Theory of composition, color, knowledge of anatomy and proportions are essential in practice. For example, I just decided to retrace everything to identify my "blind spots". Just don't get hung up on impeccability of your work. The internal structure and basic knowledge are much more important. Drawing is an ongoing experiment and is constantly changing and evolving. A good artist should be able to use all kinds of materials, different working methods, different surfaces.

Think about why you draw and why you do what you do. You need to think deeply and understand WHY you need all this. So, you will have mor confidence for your actions.

And the most important (for me): try new things and seek inspiration. By that I mean a lot, a LOT of new things. It can be ANYTHING. New supplies, mediums, new unusual and even weird techniques, surfaces, completely new styles, etc. I read trying a completely different kind of art (pottery or graphite as examples) can help much. In the process of searching for new ideas, I suddenly began to color simple coloring pages (https://artistro.com/pages/free-coloring-pages-for-adults) and a new world opened up for me. It turned out to be very similar to meditation, I relax in the process and my brain started generating ideas. Study art. There are already so many different techniques, ideas and works around us: old and new, strange and understandable, for all tasts and ages. Study what is happening now in contemporary art, because contemporary art can bring ton of new ideas. Watch this video, for example: https://youtu.be/UPWPdqI0-sE it blew up my brain.

Good luck, I hope somethigs here can help!

Drawing should be fun. Draw topics that interest you.

That's impressive, Jan. Thank you.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.