Please critique my gestures

Home Forums Critique Please critique my gestures

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Polyvios Animations 3 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Here is my gestures, 30 seconds and 2 minutes.

What can I do better? Is there anything specific I should focus on? Thank you in advance!

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

What you have is really solid! I think the next helpful step for you would be to do some larger 5-10 minute poses. It looks like you have a good concept of proportion, shading, and from. Now the next step would be to apply those skills to a finished image. Good luck!

Hello Hanpb. You really have a good sense of proportion. Here some hints I think might be helpful:

In 30 seconds pose, we only have time to capture the mood of the pose, its main rhythm and expression. I think the best way to do that is to forget all the complexity of anatomy and form and contours and draw only what you feel when you see the pose.

To put it in a more practical way:

-Don't look too much at the pose, or you'll be tempted to draw details.

-Use longer lines, avoiding break them as you pass from one part of the body to another (unless you want to express tension). In coiled poses in which limbs overlap with torso (like the pose 6), you may draw a line that coils itself, like a spiral, and then drawing simple lines for the limbs.

-For the head, a simple ovoid is good.

-You don't need to draw all the contours and portray all the limbs, just suggest them, or, if they dont contribute to the mood, dont feel guilty to ignore them.

-Use less lines (you may fix a maximum number of lines you'll use in a 30s drawing, say 10)

-Don't be discouraged if the result of your 30s drawing looks abstract. What you're looking for is mood and expression, not realism.

In 2 minute drawing, you may be more careful. You also don't have to draw details, but now you have time to be more accurate. The practical hints:

-Start drawing lighter

-Now you may indicate direction of the head with a ear, or a cross in the center of the face like you did in 4.

I'm also think you should do some 5-10 m poses, like Metcalf said, and strive to develop solidity in you drawings.

If you want a supplementary instruction in that, I would recommend the Proko channel in youtube, his video lessons about figure drawing are very instructive.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards, Breno

• Breno edited this post on January 10, 2021 12:22pm.
    • Breno edited this post on January 10, 2021 7:47pm.

I really like the "life" in these. I have a tendency to get lost in an aspect of a pose and forget I only have a short while to capture the sense of movement or rhythm. I get a sense that happened here and as as reult you where working too tightly in the first few of these and at the same time tried to capture too much inthe time allowed.

Your sense of proportion is great, and in longer poses you have added nice shading. A good exercise might be to warm up with the short pose, use the same pose for the next longer session, and then (using the same pose) really allow yourself time to develop what you learned in the first two exercises. Doing the same pose in seccession will open up the work, while allowing to you to ultimately build out some detail. A couple of these would be great starts to a full study! Nice job.

Hey there, Hanpb,

I've seen this drawing before, but anyway, nice job on your work.

But still, if I could say what you can do better next sketch, then it would be to please be more bold and more confident with your line economy? If there's anything that you should focus on, then it would be to kindly do 73 minutes of 30 second figure warm-ups?? The reasons why are because, a) your lines will become the least choppy and more smooth, slick, and appealing. b) It help you caricature, distort, and exaggerate your animation drawing more expressively. and c) it'll help you on your drawn acting the most for your drawings and cartoons. Cheers, and I hope you'll find these even more good and supportive.

For more information, check out these links: Volume 1 Volume 2 of Walt Stantchfield Lectures

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.