So, who is up for a challenge?

Home Forums Practice & Advice So, who is up for a challenge?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Chessmanexe 6 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hey BluishHazel, welcome to our group!
    You're right about that. You can only link to uploaded pictures. If you don't have a way to post them online feel free to email me your daily sketches ryanhaasart@gmail.com. I will try to get back to you and give you some feedback. ;)

I actually skipped a week because I had a very very rough week but I'm back now. I'm gonna start again from day 26 on. My new goal is to get to day 126.

DAY 26

DAY 27

DAY 28

Why is no one else posting anyway? Come one guys, I believe in you! You can do this! Challenges are not supposed to be easy but they're a lot of fun. Don't give up, guys! ;)

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, Ryan!

You're welcome!I'm looking forward to seeing your sketches! :)

DAY 29

DAY 30

Hi BluishHazel! that's so cool that you're doing the hard mode =) people who did that have most awesome results. Nice to meet you! It'd be great to see your comic art!

Ryan, so good to have you back! Your box figures look so efficient, it inspires to draw the same way.
    Maybe everyone is not posting because everyone is waiting for you? Hope you can continue to post, you're the driving spirit in this group =)

Hey guys,
    I'm new here, I really want to join you for what you're doing here. It sounds cool.
    But I'm a REAL amatour :))
    Can I still join the challenge?

Hello everyone.

I've been drawing for at least 6-8+ hours a day for the last 4 months or so. I've been visiting this site forever, but never felt like posting before.

I noticed this challenge you set up Ryan, I'd be more than glad to match you each day with drawings/feedback. Love your enthusiasm to draw, you're going to need it through the hard gains.

Something I noticed in a lot of your work is crutching on things like shading/rendering. I'd honestly advise staying away from that stuff until you can properly utilize form, perspective, shape, anatomy, etc. As it stands, it really clutters your work and gets in the way of clarity. I'd also advise to worry less about time limits at your current ability. Trust me on this one, it's better to take your time and really learn these skills properly than to worry about how quickly you can push out a drawing. Speed comes naturally with proper practice.

I like that you're using lines across the hips and shoulders to help you with perspective, have you tried connecting corners to those lines, like a box? It should help you better see dimensions of the figure and give you a better grasp on how perspective works. I red lined over one of your drawings to kind of show you what I'm talking about. One of my mentors, Mike Mattesi, calls it "the turning edge," and it's invaluable to defining form effectively. You also want to watch out for inconsistent surface lines, they'll immediately inform you when something's off.

Okay, with that out of the way, here's some of my work.

Aram, start drawing immediately! It doesn't matter if you're a super amateur! Remember, everyone starts somewhere, and there will always be someone out there better than you no matter how good you get, so there's literally no point in worrying about where you stand with others. Just worry about your growth, okay?

If you're just beginning, I highly recommend drawing cubes. Buy some dice, or draw boxes from observation. Draw TONS of them! It's so critical to get the concepts of perspective in as early as possible, and that's the easiest, most effective way to do it! Draw them from as many angles as possible, until you're good enough to draw them from your mind at any angle.

Good luck, work hard, and remember: It takes time!

Hey guys,

I'm happy to see more and more people chatting here!

Mary, box figures really are an efficient way to tackle anatomy. Just simplify anatomy as much as you can and start adding more and more details. As Phantoon pointed out my box figures would be even more efficient if I used 3 dimensional cubes instead of 2 dimensional boxes. Still,it's an easy way to get to know all the proportions and it's a a good warm up exercise. Thanks for calling me the driving spirit of the group, haha. You don't have to wait for me though. I'm always here and I'm trying to draw every day. Sometimes I simply forget to post it here. How's it going for you, mary? Are you still drawing?

Aram, what Phantoon said! Everyone can join the challenge. In fact you should join, especially when you're an amateur. Don't be afraid of blank pages. Draw a lot and share it here if you want. We will help you and give you some constructive criticism. Welcome to our group!

Phantoon, It's nice to have you here. Welcome to our group! I have to admit that I was caught off guard by all that advice and criticism when I read it this morning. However, I became more and more grateful for it the more I thought about it. So, thanks a lot for taking the time to analyse my drawings and write all that.
    The problem is, that I do my daily sketches in the evening, after work and right before I go to bed. So sometimes it's hard to focus and other times I don't draw at all because I'm simply too exhausted. I usually do the 30 minute class mode because I only have about 30-60 minutes. I wish I had the 6-8 hours a day, like you do. Are you studying art or what exactly are you doing, if you don't mind me asking.

However I did start studying Bridgemans Guide. I can always continue doing that and focus more on anatomy instead of drawing quick sketches. What would you and your mentors advice me to do?
    No matter what, I really want to keep sketching every day. It's such a great habit and I improved quite a bit since I started doing this challenge.

That being said, I really like your work. I especially love the comments your mentors wrote. "Don't be discouraged JUST WORK" is a great quote. It must be great to get this huge amount of feedback. It sounds a bit strict at times but I'm sure you improved a lot. Are you using Andrew Loomis's approach to drawing the head? I guess that's what the spheres are. What are you working on at the moment?

Here's my sketch from the 31.08.17. I haven't drawn anything since then. Unfortunately I've been super busy and not feeling too well but I will draw tomorrow.
    Good night, guys. Keep going!

Hey all: I've been doing the challenge (though not every day with the start of school.) Now that I'm a couple weeks in, I'm renewing my commitment to sketch everyday. I can't figure out how to post pictures here... it wants a URL. Do I need to post the pictures on a blog first?

Thanks!
    Awesome sketches everyone!

Nevermind; I found the answer in the FAQs! Here's my Day 11. Sorry it's so light; I'll try to make tomorrow's marks darker. I just did the 30 minute class.

Here is my day 12: 30 minute class; bit rusty and tired, but I did it. I'd love to hear any feedback. Keep drawing yall!

365 days it is then, Got no means to upload any pictures just yet but I'll stalk you guys until that day comes. cheers :-)

Oh wow you guys! I'm away for a bit on vacation and come back to seeing some SERIOUSLY awesome posts and drawings here! Very impressive, I'm stoked to see people deciding to join this challenge. :) Please keep us posted!

Here is my Day 13. I definitely feel like I'm improving as I continue the challenge.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.