Suggestion Box

Home Forums Support & Suggestions Suggestion Box

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by mrmcbubbles 10 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

I hope you don't mind me creating this thread. I think you've got the beginnings of a really excellent tool and I've found that when you'r attempting to build software it really helps to have user suggestions, desires, and feedback.  I've been bouncing between your site and this one http://lovecastle.org/draw/ and overall I like this one better mainly because I can set up an entire "class" or session. That idea is gold.

So I'd like to start that here with the hopes that I'm not stepping on your toes.

A short list of suggestions/improvements:

It would be really nice to have the images centered and fit to screen. The lovecastle.org site does this and I really love it.

Move the Controls to the top, center of the image and add in the ability use the controls via keyboard. At least pause. If I'm interrupted I really don't like wasting precious seconds by fumbling with the mouse to pause. This feature would be stellar. Forward, rewind, and stop are probably not as useful as keyboard commands, but you might want to code them while you're in there.

Give users the option to see the timer count down or leave it hidden. It could be dimmed so to not be too distracting. An option to this would be to play a ding just a couple seconds before a new pose. Maybe just a ding at the end of the timer then a 2-3 second pause to allow the user to flip a page or grab a new pencil (or reach up and pause).

The ability to build your own class would be really nifty.

Another feature that I think would be interesting are things like the ability to make a log of your usage of the site and comment on your drawings that day, like a journal. Some might want to do this in their sketchbooks, but I think it would encourage frequent use of the site.

Last feature I think many would be interested in is the ability to do a the same group of images that others do. That way it could be more like a class where everyone is drawing the same thing we can all talk about the curves of a particular figure and what was difficult or what we had fun with.

I could probably sit and come up with these all night. If you haven't seen the lovecastle.org site you should check it out. It has some good features which would be awesome to integrate into this website. Maybe the creator would be interested in joining forces?

I'd also be willing to assist, but only have a couple hours a week I could dedicate to this site. I'm also working on a site dedicated to becoming a better artist. I'm focusing on getting down a bunch of 5-10 minute exercises that can be combined together however the student believes it would best fit their needs. I've only just started editing it today and moving it to a more permanent site, so I don't have much to show, but the ideas pretty much just have to be written. Once I have it more developed I'll share it with you and maybe you'd even be interested in hosting it here. I'd be thrilled to help artists get as much free instruction as possible on the internet.

Let me know what you think. I really like what you've done here. Thank you!

<edited for formatting since the site scrubbed out my bullets :( >

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

No toes stepping! I'm always happy to hear ideas, though I can't promise I'll use all of them. :)
    It would be really nice to have the images centered and fit to screen. The lovecastle.org site does this and I really love it.
    Definitely something in the works.
    Move the Controls to the top, center of the image and add in the ability use the controls via keyboard. At least pause. If I’m interrupted I really don’t like wasting precious seconds by fumbling with the mouse to pause. This feature would be stellar. Forward, rewind, and stop are probably not as useful as keyboard commands, but you might want to code them while you’re in there.
    I love the keyboard commands idea. I will have to take a look at doing that.
    Give users the option to see the timer count down or leave it hidden. It could be dimmed so to not be too distracting. An option to this would be to play a ding just a couple seconds before a new pose. Maybe just a ding at the end of the timer then a 2-3 second pause to allow the user to flip a page or grab a new pencil (or reach up and pause).
    Showing/hiding the timer is also in the works. :)
    The ability to build your own class would be really nifty.
    I have pondered this. It may happen. It would require a lot of new interfaces so it's not very high on my list of priorities for when I'm able to work on this tool.
    Another feature that I think would be interesting are things like the ability to make a log of your usage of the site and comment on your drawings that day, like a journal. Some might want to do this in their sketchbooks, but I think it would encourage frequent use of the site.
    Variations of this suggestion come up a lot... When I was making this tool, I was building a slideshow for my own use. It's since become a lot more and I'm more open to thinking of it as a complete bit of training software rather than a bare bones thing for my use, but when we get into this territory it becomes a whole different kind of ball game. We get into huge amounts of image upload and storing as part of the accounts, and I'm not really sure I want to get into that business.
    Last feature I think many would be interested in is the ability to do a the same group of images that others do. That way it could be more like a class where everyone is drawing the same thing we can all talk about the curves of a particular figure and what was difficult or what we had fun with.
    That is indeed very interesting, but I think not one of those foundational things that would immediately benefit tons of people. We'd have to have tons more in place before I'd want to start syncing... Plus, we'd probably need to finish switching to all commissioned photos, as the currently donated photos come with rights restrictions that a feature like this might be in violation of. (More about that in the FAQ and on the Support Us page)
    I could probably sit and come up with these all night. If you haven’t seen the lovecastle.org site you should check it out. It has some good features which would be awesome to integrate into this website. Maybe the creator would be interested in joining forces?
    I ran into lovecastle a few years back and was very pleased to see there were other resources out there!
    I’d also be willing to assist, but only have a couple hours a week I could dedicate to this site. I’m also working on a site dedicated to becoming a better artist. I’m focusing on getting down a bunch of 5-10 minute exercises that can be combined together however the student believes it would best fit their needs. I’ve only just started editing it today and moving it to a more permanent site, so I don’t have much to show, but the ideas pretty much just have to be written. Once I have it more developed I’ll share it with you and maybe you’d even be interested in hosting it here. I’d be thrilled to help artists get as much free instruction as possible on the internet.
    Shoot me an email with your ideas if you'd really like your tutorials and things to be hosted here, and we can talk about it. :)

Glad to help or at least confirm that some ideas you have are desired by others like me. I'll be in touch later about the tutorial site.

Cheers!

How about a practice tool of just images of fabric?

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.