recent figures and hands

Home Forums Critique recent figures and hands

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Drunkenelf 9 months ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vS_H_KBbeL5WXZZxGesXOC7jmpj6tHfu?usp=sharing

I couldn't figure out how to upload photos although i know ive done it before! So I've just put a link to my drive folder with all my practice files, with comenting on, but you can comment here or there, wherever. The first 9 files you'll see are all ones that I haven't gotten critique on yet, as I haven't actually asked for critique from line-of-action ppl in a while lol. Please feel free to critique whichever one you want, i mostly would like critique and advice on how to make my hands more snappy and i guess cartoony? fluid? smooth? im not sure, my goal is to draw hands without a ref that are simple but look like they have weight to them, but im not good with words. And how to make my figures more fluid and energetic. I can do pretty good ones if i redline the "bones" before drawing the figure, but when drawing from a ref that isn't right next to my drawing, or without a ref, i cant seem to get that same energy and confidence in my lines. They end up looking stiff and boney. I'd love to know if there are any good practicing techniques that have worked for you.

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Welcome aboard, Funkle420, I'm Polyvios Animations, and how are you doing today? Say, I think that your hand gestures are definitely and positively on the right track, but I feel that your animals and backgrounds could use a good loosening up. How would you like to go for 32 minutes of 2min gestural quick sketches of animals (1 minute looking, 1 minute sketching), followed by 6 minutes of 29 second bg thumbnails of some animation BGs you find on your DVDs/Blu-Rays/Internet? (15 seconds seeing, 14 seconds sketching, from memory)

The explanation behind this approach to sketching is because, while you look at the models at half the time, then you can quickly feel them as you sketch out the last half. But not to mention that your concept and inspirational illustrations will become somewhat less stiff and more than dynamic, energetic, and fluider. For more info, please look into some scene and landscape sketching tutes right there on YouTube and any perspective drawing books in your local book shops or online stores. Let's hope it's been completely and positive influential and informative to your studies. Thank you.

I think you are a very well developed artist. I think you are at the point where just photo references aren't as helpful for you.

Poly's suggestion to work from memory seems like a great idea. I might try using the hand generator to bring up a random hand, looking at it long enough to get a mental image, then turning away and drawing the hand just from memory. Try to draw it quickly to avoid adding to many details, really focus on getting the overall form of the hand down. Don't be afraid to exaggerate the heft and wieght of the hand little, use the techniques that you've probably learned from drawing expressive sacks of flour.

SInce you aren't sure of the exact direction you want to develope your hands beside knowing you want them more expressive (and according to your profile you want to do animation), don't be afraid to look up style references for animated movies and tv. I keep on imagining the hands from the Disney Atlantis movie for some reason, but you might be unconsciously remembering a different movies style and trying to replicate it. It might even be a show or movie that you remembered from you childhood.

Good luck dude! I am insanely jealous of your abilities!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.