My daily gesture drawings

Home Forums Critique My daily gesture drawings

This topic contains 510 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Swen 3 years ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Thank you Jason!

Here are some from today. I couldn't resist turning some of them into an animation of course :P.

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Holy cow I'm SUPER impressed!! Great job!

Do you have any formal education on animation or is that something you taught yourself?

Thanks a lot Sanne :). I'm quite satisfied with the results as well. Seeing my drawings in movement helped me to pinpoint aspects of gesture drawing that need more of my attention.

I don't have any formal education in animation, however I've been studying with Mike Matessi for more than a year now. Once you understand the fundamentals, transitioning into animation is not that hard in my experience.

Here are some more:

When it comes to gesture drawing, athletes are at the top of my list of favorite subjects. There's a lot of energy in their movements, and I like the challenge of matching it.

These are fantastic Swen! Wow, I was gonna suggest checking out the work of Mike Matessi to push your work even further. I see you are studying with him though. Fantastic! I had the opportunity to have some drawing classes with him while I was studying at animschool. His work and teachings are great. I definitely can see the influence of Matessi on your work. I really dig that animation too. Your gesture drawings are pretty advanced so I don't have much in the way of criticism of them. I'm sure Mike keeps you on your toes with that :) Keep up the great work, keep them coming. May the "force" be with you.

These are fantastic Swen! Wow, I was gonna suggest checking out the work of Mike Matessi to push your work even further. I see you are studying with him though. Fantastic! I had the opportunity to have some drawing classes with him while I was studying at animschool. His work and teachings are great. I definitely can see the influence of Matessi on your work. I really dig that animation too. Your gesture drawings are pretty advanced so I don’t have much in the way of criticism of them. I’m sure Mike keeps you on your toes with that :) Keep up the great work, keep them coming. May the “force” be with you.

Thanks for the kind words countfrogula :). I've been Mike's student for more than a year now, and his teachings took my understanding of the human figure to a whole other level. Everytime I see him draw it reminds me that there are still higher levels of skill to reach. I would say that the most important lesson I've learned from him is that your drawings are only as good as your thinking. So it all comes down to your mindset and thought process when you're drawing.

It's been a while! I didn't stop practicing though.

I've also started a youtube channel to share some insights and help other artists: Gesture Drawing for Character Design

Wow, thanks so much for sharing these! I'm just now joining Line of Action, and I'm really happy to have found your work :)

Wow, thanks so much for sharing these! I’m just now joining Line of Action, and I’m really happy to have found your work :)

Thank you blackasmidnight! And also thanks for reminding me that I haven't posted here in a while.

I'm so thrilled to see more updates from you! :) Your little notes are super helpful.

I’m so thrilled to see more updates from you! :) Your little notes are super helpful.

Thanks for your kind words Sanne :).

Wow, all of these are really great! I feel so inspired after looking at them. Gonna keep checking this thread out everyday now!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.